Expedition / Navigator

Edelbrock IAS install

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 03:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edelbrock IAS install

I ordered the Edelbrock IAS's for my 00 Expy (4x4). When installing the rear's I had to compress the shock down (farther down than the strap held them) in order to get them to fit, probably about 1-2 inches. Is that normal...?

Thanks,Adrian

Old 07-15-2001, 10:13 AM
Could be.....

I had a jack ready and jacked the body up enough to match the shock. So, to answer your question, if you just installed them as normal height (which is perfectly fine) then you probably should have had to compress them a little bit more.

It may have been easier that way. It wasn't really quick and easy to poistion the body and axle right with a jack to fit the shocks. Kind of like turning the house to install a light bulb.

What are your impressions so far?

Old 07-18-2001, 10:07 AM
Family Ride- what do they do for you?

I must say that the main thing I can't stand about my 2K Expy is the bouncy ride over bumps. Do the Edelbrock shocks help that at all?

Old 07-18-2001, 07:13 PM
They relieve a substantial amount of the bouncing. They are really smooth on the road but when you hit RR tracks for example, the truck settles very quickly and you never feel like you are out of control.

Old 07-18-2001, 07:44 PM
Oh ya.....

2BLU4U

What ExpyGator said. Something else too. I replaced the OEM rear anti-sway bar first and drove it for about a month or 2 I think. My first reaction when I drove it after the install was, "Hmm". I wasn't real impressed considering a cut the crap out of my hand installing it. However, after driving it for a couple weeks I kept noticing something that was strange. There is a double dip in a road I drive every day going to work and at the 60-70 that I hit it, it was dangerous feeling. I mean bounce the front end and get that "out of control" feel. You probably know what I mean. The front end would bobble all over.

Well I was noticing that it wasn't doing that near as much anymore, I mean almost none. The only thing I can think of is that a lot of the loose "bouncey" feel is in the truck also swaying causing it to bounce around hence the out of control feel.

So I know the Hellwig was a whole lot stronger. I could stand on the middle of the OEM bar on the floor, and twist it about 1"-1.5" by pulling on the end links. The Hellwig was like trying to twist concrete! So I think that helped me a lot.

The Edelbrock however, imporved it even more, and added cornering and over all a really stable feel. It reacts and recovers really fast.

This post is already long enough so I won't go into the cornering story. https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=39155 and look at my 32 page reply. Buried in there is my exprerience with cornering now.

Old 07-18-2001, 07:54 PM
You must be talking about 635 just north of DFW airport! I like that, we only hit that dip when going to FL. I try to hit it at least 75, wakes the wife up.

Later

Old 07-18-2001, 08:05 PM
Actually it's on south bound 2499 just south of where Long Prarie turns off to the right to go over the dam. It's in the right lane at the top of that rise maybe a couple hundred yards.

The corner I describe in the other post is where you exit off International Parkway (121 S as it heads towards the airport north enterance) and you exit to east bound 114 (just past the west bound 114 exit). It's that full circle. What a rush!

Old 07-20-2001, 10:24 AM
I know what your talking about. I take 2499 to the airport everyday. Usuallly not in the right lane I will have to check it out. Today is the day I go over the damn to get to the airport. As soon as I get the gibson, Air Force 1 (I think I am going with this one now even though it is 40 dollars more), and Superchip I will think about getting some of those shocks. I really need to get this tire thing look at before I make mods so I don't get hassled. Also why did you get the airaid instead of Air Force 1 or K&N? There probably is not more than a nickles worth of "performance" dif, just looks.

Old 07-20-2001, 07:53 PM
I went with Airaid because at the time, you're right, there's not really any difference in perf and I didn't think the AF1 "looked" $40 better. Definetly glad I got the Airaid ove the K&N becasue of the looks and the powder coated tube.

However, AF1 is supposedly almost CARB certified. And I've seen Mike Troyer talk about the AF1 using the fender inlet for air now. I'm not sure if that's new. I'd probably consider the AF1 more now. But I'm happy with the Airaid. It mounts solid as I understand AF1 does too. K&N used to use a tie strap but now uses the bracket like the other 2.

If you see me around, flag me down and you can take a look at it. You'll notice I sound a little different than the other Expy's and Nav's around and you can see the Gibson tip hanging out the back right.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock IAS install