Expedition / Navigator

Feeling stupid, but..need a grille removal help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feeling stupid, but..need a grille removal help.

I have my Stull grille for my 2000 Expy and was getting ready to install it yesterday. I noticed that Stull's instructions do not say the slightest of how to remove the stock grille? Only how to install the stull grille into the surround? I pulled off the black plastic piece over the radiator (held in by those little black plastic screws). Then I removed the obvious screws (I think 6 of them) on the top of the surround. The surround would not budge? Oh yeah, I DO NOT HAVE AN OWNERS MANUAL to find out what I am not doing right! I see one TORX type screw on the top of each corner light, so I removed that too. But still no budging. What am I doing wrong? If someone can shed a little light for me, I'll take digital pictures and write up a TECH ARTICLE, so no one else has to ask? TIA!

Old 07-16-2001, 01:23 PM
try this

the bottom of the grill surround has a piece of plastic trim mounted to it, the trim is also mounted to the front corners of the truck fenders. the trim piece is held in with plastic christmas-tree rivets. The grill surround should be pulled straight out from the front because it has two long tabs that are pushed into metal pinch sleeves. From what i see you are on the right track.

Old 07-16-2001, 03:14 PM
You have too take the corner lights out and there are screws holding the grill on. That should allow it to pull out. You may have to get under the truck and take a long screw driver and depress the tabs that are holding the grill on at the bottom.

Old 07-16-2001, 03:55 PM
look at the bottom of your grill surround under the corner lenses. There is plastic fasteners you need to remove to get the grill surround off. Also remove the radiator shroud to get some screws on the top removed. The original grill is easy to remove.A dremel tool is very helpful. You can cut the tabs flush with the surround. The tabs on the new grill might have to be bent to fit on the cross support of your vehicle. The screws are self tapping and will go in the fiberglass with no problem. Put the grill in the opening, then put the surround on top of it (dry fit). Once you have it centered, use a nut driver and a extension with a powerful drill to install the grill. Make sure you count the amount of slots between the top and bottm to center it. The plastic fasteners can be purchased at chief , checker , or autozone. Take your time and you will get it done. I have installed stull grills on 4 expeditions.

Old 07-17-2001, 10:10 AM
Thank you MUCH! One last question d red ex

You said you have done Stulls in 4 Expys? Your directions kinda make sense except the only hardware I received from Stull with my grille was some "pop rivets"? I am not quite sure what to do with them and how they could hold the grille into the surround. Am I missing something? As I said I will be taking digital pictures of the install so that it will be muc heasier for ALL in the future. TIA. Oh yeah, thanks everyone!

Old 07-17-2001, 10:55 AM
This thread will answer all your questions. It certainly helped with mine.
Good luck. You'll love your new billet grill

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...+grill+install

Last edited by 2K1Expy; 07-17-2001 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-17-2001, 03:35 PM
That's EXACTLY what I needed..

2K1Expy-
Thanks a million. I had looked around a little for something like that but did not check ALL the other boards. I'll give the grille a try again tonight.

Old 07-26-2001, 10:32 AM
Grille install update...

Thank you for the help.
Installed the Stull Grille in 1 hour and 20 minutes. Just one side note- The Stull grille has no brackets to attach to the stock grille surround. It has 1/4" dia round posts that but up against the stock surround. You need to drill holes at these mating points then you pop rivet (or you can use screws) through the surround into these round rods. Not too tough to do. Also on the Stull grille you WILL need to remove ALL the original locking tabs from the surround!
Now that I have done one (Stull) I am more than happy to answer any questions about it.

Quick Reply: Feeling stupid, but..need a grille removal help.