Expedition / Navigator

a way to deprogram the PATS key?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question a way to deprogram the PATS key?

I've just been full of questions lately, and finally had time to wright them all down.

I know the keys & wireless remote will survive a washer & drying. But I am just curious to as if there is anything that can be done to de-program the keys (like at stores they say no yo place credit cards on those magnetic things). Just want to try to avoid getting stuck somewhere because the PAT's quit working (I do have a spare stashed inside my truck) but just curious.

Old 07-20-2001, 08:00 PM
You've also got a key pad to unlock it with don't you? I don't think you can hurt the chip in the key, but if you can, I guess you'd (we'd) be in trouble.

Old 07-27-2001, 02:24 PM
I don't think you can actuall de-program a PATS key. Each key already has it's own setting. The truck is programmed to match the key. So I don't think it's possible (short of removing the PATS unit from the key) to screw the key up.

I doubt the remote would work well after the washing machine though.

Hope htis helps
Fred

Old 07-27-2001, 02:44 PM
There is a passive coded transponder in your key. There is nothing to erase. The transponder gets energized and will emit a coded signal when it passes through an antenea ring located around the base of the ignition.

If you need to overide PATS for a remote starter it can be done without sacraficing a coded key to do it. Go to a good alarm shop and get a crystal transponder made for FORD's PATS system. Its about $50. The transponder will mount close to the antenea ring near the ignition. The factory disarm on the remote start unit will need to be connected to a couple of relays and will inteconnect with the PATS wiring. The alarm shop should be able to aquire the schematic with all the conections for you. When you use this setup, PATS is disabled only when you press the button on your remote to start it and is re-enabled once the ignition is turned off..........................

Last edited by What Ranger?; 07-27-2001 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: a way to deprogram the PATS key?