Expedition / Navigator

Expo Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expo Battery question

Ok, stupid question. I have a 2006 Expedition. I have heard that if you disconnect the battery, the system will reset and the truck won't be able to start without being reprogrammed. Is this true? When I had the battery replaced last year, the installer plugged an adapter into the cig lighter with a 9V battery to keep the codes without having to reprogram it.

I ask because I am going to venture into replacing the stereo and add an amp and subs this weekend and all the instructions I have read said to disconnect the batteries negative terminal while doing the process. I don't want to disconnect the terminal if I won't be able to start the truck when I am all done until Ford reprograms it.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Sponsor
I could be wrong, but on my previous 03 expedition I never had any reprogramming issues and I disconnected the battery multiple times. Worst case scenario I lost the presets on the factory navigation but since you are replacing the stereo that wouldn't even be an issue.

Perhaps they changed something by 06 rolled around though.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 PM
I wish I could remember where I had seen/heard that from but when I took it to the auto parts place for the new battery, the first place wouldn't replace it because of that problem. The second place had that adapter and was willing to do it. Unfortunately, I don't feel willing to try pulling the negative terminal on a hunch as I can't believe Ford will be easy or cheap to reprogram the truck.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 PM
I have a 2006 Navigator and I disconect the negative battery cable all the time mess around with something or other, and the only thing I have to reset is the clock. Everything else stays programmed - radio presets, seat memory, etc.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjay2100
Ok, stupid question. I have a 2006 Expedition. I have heard that if you disconnect the battery, the system will reset and the truck won't be able to start without being reprogrammed. Is this true? When I had the battery replaced last year, the installer plugged an adapter into the cig lighter with a 9V battery to keep the codes without having to reprogram it.

I ask because I am going to venture into replacing the stereo and add an amp and subs this weekend and all the instructions I have read said to disconnect the batteries negative terminal while doing the process. I don't want to disconnect the terminal if I won't be able to start the truck when I am all done until Ford reprograms it.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks
No. The programmer powers the alarm & maintaines the radio channels, etc.

Quick Reply: Expo Battery question