Expedition / Navigator

Lowering Expedition 2".....Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering Expedition 2".....Opinions

I have a 2000 Exp. with 18" Lightning wheels and want to lower it 2". My main purpose is to decrease the amount of clearance between the tires and fenders without giving a harsh ride.

Checking with the after market suppliers, I found only a few kits available. Belltech has a complete kit which includes 4 springs, shocks, rear spring retaining straps and a front end alightment kit for about $500.

Has anyone tried this package? Any recommendations, watchouts or opinions would be appreciated.

FYI, my tire diameter remains stock.

Old 08-07-2001, 09:14 AM
Question Lowering

You don't say whether you have LLS which makes a big difference in price. I have LLS on my Exp. and lowered it 1 1/2" in front and merely adjusted the LLS adjuster on the rear. I also have Lightning SVO wheels and 285/60/18 Michelin Pilots.
I went with the Eibach progressive rate springs on the front and got a camber kit for about $40 from Tire Rack. I don't remember how much I paid for the Eibach springs but they weren't expensive. I got them from Tire Rack as well.
As for the installation, I had a good front end shop do the installation for about $200 including adding the camber kits and alignment.
Make sure you take the slack out of the ABS sensor wire attached to the wheels to prevent rubbing on the tire/rim. Also, very important that you bend the front brake line brackets back, change the square head bolt to a round head, and file the sharp edge of the backet down to prevent the bracket/bolt head from gouging the rims.
With the Eibach drop springs, I was able to keep the stock shocks. You easily lower the Exp. 2" and keep the stock shocks. With the Eibachs and SVO wheels, it's lowered enough to really fill out the wheelwells and handling also improved with the drop. The rear adjustment was very easy and balanced out the height. Again, I don't know if you have LLS.
I kept the stock shocks because they fit my own personal taste. I don't go offroad except for the beach and like the smoothness of the stock shocks. I've tried Edelbrocks on the Exp. and Bilsteins on an Exployer and didn't like how they performed on normal street/highway driving. They were harsher/stiffer riding and seemed to pick up every crack or bump in the road.

Old 08-08-2001, 06:29 PM
KA,

Thanks for sharing your experience in lowering the X. I do not have LLS. My goals seem to be similar with yours.....filling the wheel wells and retaining that smooth ride.

My X is a daily driver and I spend about one hour each way going to work so a smooth ride on the highway is important to me. I purchased a lowered fullsize chevy (5/7 drop) several years back and don't want to have anything near as harsh again.

I checked the availability of Eibach springs for my setup through the Tire Rack but they did not have the 1.6 drop rear springs for my non LLS 2WD. They did have a 3" drop all the way around for my vehicle but I'm not wanting to go that far right now.

I will check with Belltech and see if a "spring only" kit is available. Didn't seem to ask when talking to the tech last week. He did mention that thier kit included a rear spring retaining strap which prevented the rear springs from loosing position if the suspension was put in a certain extreme. I can only assume that this was developed due to a problem found during R&D.

I learned about the "wheel scrap" issue on this website and was well prepared for the simple fix while installing my wheels and tires but appreciate you mentioning it again. The ABS line was a new one on me but I am familar with that piece and think it will be a simple fix as well.

Thinking about one of my goals, (closing up the wheel wells) my X has XLT trim and does not have the fender trim around the wheel wells. A friend of mine has a EB 2WD and it appears to have less gap between the tire and wheel well and what I found is that the well well trim has a spacer which makes the wheel well about 3/4" to 1" smaller than mine. Installation of this trim would also lessen the gap between tire and well well. I may elect to install a set but will do this modification one step at a time. I'm not much on plastic trim pieces and try to avoid adding things like this to my vehicle as they always seem to attract wax, pieces of sponge etc.

Once again I would like to thank you for your reply. It has opened new avenues to this modification.

JT

BTW, do you happen to have a pic of your lowered X?

Old 08-09-2001, 04:04 PM
No pictures. I'm not computer literate enough to know how. I'd do it if someone provided me with easy to follow step-by-step instructions.

Old 08-10-2001, 12:02 AM
Thumbs up Belltech Kit

I had the Belltech 2" drop kit installed on my 2000 Expy XLT (no load leveling.)
I'm very happy with it. The wheels fill the fenders now and the handling is much improved. Less roll in the corners and less of the "boat" feel. I purchased the kit with Nitro-Active shocks which are a mono-tube design ( costs a little more than their normal Nitro-Drop ones.)

No pictures

Good Luck!

Old 08-10-2001, 07:36 AM
Expy69,

Did you purchase the "kit" from Belltech with their recommended shocks? I understand that two different shocks are available and I'm wondering if you went with what they provide in the kit or not. You mentioned your satisfaction with the ride but is it still as smooth on the highway? One other member here went with the stock shocks using a 1.6" drop spring. I'm considering a "spring only" change for starters and using the stock shocks. Any comment on this issue?

What about the rear spring retaining strap from Belltech. Did you use this piece?

Last question.........did you perform the work yourself? If not, what was the cost for the installation and this include the front alignment kit from belltech.

Regards,

John

Old 08-11-2001, 12:13 AM
Talking

I purchased the kit through a speed shop here and they did the work for me (aprox. $200.) Belltech has two shocks the Nitro-Drop and Nitro-Active. I got the Nitro- Active which is their better shock.
The ride did get noticeably firmer on the highway, but I didn't like the softness of the stock ride so I like the change. (My other ride is a Mustang GT with a stiff Koni suspension.) As far as a spring only change, it's up to you. Some people say you should change to a drop shock, some say you don't have to.
Don't know if the rear strap is installed. I know it came with the kit, I guess I should take a look! I went to a reputable shop and I would hope that they installed it.
Had to buy camber adjustment plates to do the alignment. The plates were about $50.

Quick Reply: Lowering Expedition 2".....Opinions