Expedition / Navigator

Superchip, Airforce 1, Y connector, and Gibson 2001 Expy!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchip, Airforce 1, Y connector, and Gibson 2001 Expy!!

Got the Superchip and Airforce 1 the other day. Thanks Mike. I put those two items on last night; test fired it, started just fine. Disconnected the battery again and took the exhaust off in anticipation that the Gibson Single Side Swept will arrive today. I will probably take it for that 20 mile drive today sometime if UPS would just get here!! The ole 5.4L sounded pretty good with the exhaust off!! I will post back and let everybody know how it turned out.

On another note, I might take a pic with the digital camera and show everybody the Y connector on the exhaust. I don't know if it is like this on the F150's but on my 2001 Exby the Y is just before where you disconnect to put the Cat back system on. Well I can look and feel up there real good and see that it is a very smooth connection, wide open and probably keeps the full diameter of the pipe from that left side of the engine. Good angle for siphoning also. Saw all the post on the Y connector and thought I would let you know. I could not see how you could get any improvement redoing this area.

Old 08-07-2001, 11:38 AM
I have been trying to find any decent exhaust mod since I bought this thing.... I purchased a 2001 Mustang GT for my wife and went nuts on hers... 'X' Pipe and Borla Cat-Back... Sounds Awesome and gave it a kick... With the 5.4 I figured there would be similar aftermarket parts.... WRONG... I would love to find a system that allows free flowing from the manifolds back.....

From reading your post (and not being under the truck).. It sounds like you are working from the 'collector' back?!? Is there a set-up that will take the axhaust out both sides and reduce flow restriction????

Thanks

Old 08-07-2001, 02:51 PM
If you really want to get good flow the best for the money would be a good header system that bolts to the existing down pipes with cats and then a dual side swept or dual rear cat back system. You will gain HP but you might loose torque. All I want it torque, I don't see over 4000 rpm's very much and that is about the only time a really openned up exhaust helps in my opinion. I have read that ford does a good job out of getting the best torque out of their exhausts; for high rpm people a more open exhaust will help. Mustang GT is a good example, you want great HP at higher rpm's. You loose torque in an expy I think you would feel it pretty quick.

Old 08-07-2001, 05:16 PM
Gibson screwed me good. They did not include one of the pipes in the kit. I am so pissed off right now. Took my exhaust off and a 20 minute operation after UPS came is going to turn into a f#$king week. Meanwhile, I don't have a vehicle to drive. It is hard enough working on your vehicle without this kind of crap. The exit pipe right before the crome tip is the missing piece.

Old 08-07-2001, 07:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi dfwbmw,

Ahhh, I got to "run into you" twice here today!

Glad the Superchip & the Air Force One kit are working nicely!

Sorry to hear that your Gibson exhaust was apparently missing a piece, that's not like them.

Gibson normally does a very good job of packaging, according to what we hear it's pretty rare for something like that to happen, not that this will make you feel any better right now of course, just letting you know. I hope they get that taken care of for you quickly, they do have a good reputation for taking good care of their customers, so hopefully it shouldn't take long.

Best of luck with your Gibson exhaust, & talk to you soon!

Have fun,

Old 08-07-2001, 07:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Expy Boy,

If you would like some advice exhaust-wise, we'd be happy to go over that with you, so you can get a bit more familiar with what is available for your 5.4 motor, what kind of results you can expect, etc. That way you can shop from an informed standpoint.

If you like, just give us a call at our nubmer below & we'll be happy to give you some detailed info on that to help you get the best results on that heavy SUV.

Good luck with your new Expedition!

Old 08-07-2001, 11:25 PM
AHH, that's got to be so d@mn frustrating. I'm sure they'll ship one to you quick enough though; at least I hope.

So you didn't think the "Y" was that bad on the Expy huh? I have to say, the OEM exhaust isn't bad. There's not too many real bends so much so that it almost looks mandrel bent.

Well, I guess my hay day is over. Another Estate Green EB Expy with bolt-ons in FLower Mound. I'm sure we'll be able to pick each others out on the street. Hopfully soon you'll see mine pulling a new boat! (that's where I've been hangin out a lot lately, boat forums learning and at Phil Dill's and Marine Max!)

After all, Superchip, Airaid, Gibson, Edelbrock's, Helwig, it's moded to tow and I'll be towing somewhere from 4500 to 5500 lbs!

Old 08-08-2001, 03:28 PM
Got it all together today. Gibson called Four Wheel parts in Dallas and I went down there and took the missing pipe out of one of there boxes and Gibson will replace their's. It runs great. I took it out and did 30 miles of driving and it almost performs like one of my BMW's!!!!. You know it runs better when the front end comes up pretty good when it shifts from 1st to 2nd!! As for the Y pipe I could see mine totally and feel up inside. It was smooth as can be. I have read all the post about the Y connector and I have seen the Y connector on other trucks. You cannot see it like you can on an expy once you remove the muffler (it is right there at the muffler connection). Mine was clean, clear and smooth with full diameter from that left side of the engine. Did not take any pics but here is a site about the modz plus I put a temp sensor on the FIPK intake to see what the underhood temps were. Runs great thanks again, Mike.

http://dfwbmw.0catch.com/ExpyModz/

http://dfwbmw.0catch.com/IntakeTmp/

Old 08-08-2001, 03:35 PM
Thumbs up

Glad you are up and running with a minimum of trouble, like not having to wait a week or so for the part. As someone said Gibson is good for customer service, guess they showed that when they contacted one of their dealers to get you the part.
Good Luck

Old 08-09-2001, 11:06 AM
Here is the explanation for the temp test.

url below. I saw people kind of bashing the FIPK saying in hot weather they are a dog. I put a temp sensor on the filter of my Airforce 1 FIPK and messured the air with a digital read out inside the truck. What I found was at about 96 degrees outside was that if the truck was moving, as low at 30mph the temp went down to only about 2 to 10 degrees above the outside temp. If you stopped for about a minute or so without AC on it went up to about 120. If you stopped for over 5 minutes idling, it went up to 140 degrees. If you went longer with the AC on the intake air was as high as 146 degrees. Now I did not test the old system in the same situation so I really don't have nothing to compare, plus I have not own the vehicle long enough to have the loss of power in over 100 degree days. We have two other cars and the expy really is not a daily driver for us. I think the bottom line is that these trucks are not going to have a lot of power when your in stop and go traffic, AC on high, with a FIPK or Stock intake. So I will take the performance when it is moving and just suck it up for the few times it bogs with 100 degrees days.

http://dfwbmw.0catch.com/IntakeTmp/

Quick Reply: Superchip, Airforce 1, Y connector, and Gibson 2001 Expy!!