Expedition / Navigator

Quick ratio steering for Expy - Is there such thing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick ratio steering for Expy - Is there such thing?

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about adding quicker ration steering boxes to Expy's or F150's. Would be nice to update the steering to improve the mushy (slow) response these trucks have on the road. Thanks in advance for any information.

Old 08-17-2001, 12:37 AM
If you turn Off the air suspension with the service switch near the passenger kick panel you can feel what full boost at highway speed is like. It's the opposite extreme, too easy and unstable. I think a faster ratio would be even worse. Make sure the LLS levels the truck before you turn it off.

Old 08-17-2001, 08:12 AM
Dave,

You lost me on that one. My idea comes from the fact that I owned a 1996 Chevrolet Impala SS prior to buying this X. This car had a much quicker ratio steering box compaired to it's Caprice brother. After driving each car back to back, you could tell a very siginificant difference in just the 'fun to drive factor' if nothing else. To get to the point......I compare the driving feel of the grandma & grandpa version (Caprice) to the Expedition, which led me to wonder if the Expedition could be improved like the Impala was compared to the standard Caprice. Maybe I'm compairing apples to oranges when comparing the Expedition (large SUV) to the Impala SS (aggressive sport sedan).

Thanks,

Old 08-17-2001, 09:41 AM
Try driving an '01 Expy that was built after April 10th this year. Ford discontinued the Electronic Variable Orifice Steering option. I could tell a huge difference. I'm currently trying to get Ford to update mine, which was built in January '01. Putting quicker steering on a heavy truck like this doesn't sound safe.

Old 08-17-2001, 09:51 AM
Rob, PLEASE don't forget to let me know what was replaced.

Yes, not all X's handle the same.

Thanks.

Old 08-17-2001, 10:26 AM
I'm still fighting with Ford on this one. The regional Service Rep and I are going round and round.

Old 08-17-2001, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Rob_NC
Try driving an '01 Expy that was built after April 10th this year. Ford discontinued the Electronic Variable Orifice Steering option. I could tell a huge difference. I'm currently trying to get Ford to update mine, which was built in January '01. Putting quicker steering on a heavy truck like this doesn't sound safe.
Rob,

This is true, I believe this is what Dave XP was trying to get to earlier about quicker steering on a truck. I had also planned on adding suspension modifications to supplement the quicker steering, maybe this would work, what do you think? Planned suspension mods would include 2/3 drop, stiffer shocks (Edelbrock performers or drop shocks), big Anti-Sway bar, and polyurethane sway bar bushings. Has anyone done anything like this? Finally, does the Lightning have a quick steering box?

Old 08-17-2001, 01:52 PM
I believe HDLouie has put alot of these mods on and is still not happy with the steering. Suspension mods will definitely help the body roll and sway and it's something I'm planning to do as well.

Old 08-17-2001, 03:26 PM
Alan,

On my '01 when you turn off the LLS it also puts the steering box in full boost mode. If you drive it this way at highway speeds you get a feel for what happens with faster steering. Since there is almost no resistance it responds faster to your input. I was thinking this would be similar enough to a faster ratio to show you what happens without making an major modification.

I have gotten used to the slugglish feeling of my '01, but I had an unstable experience with a cross wind that leaves me searching for improvements also.

Old 08-17-2001, 05:04 PM
Dave XP,

What you said is very interesting. I have never heard of turning off the LLS to boost the steering speed. Is there an actual alteration made to the steering box when turning off the LLS or does the suspension just make the the steering feel quicker? Also, I have 2WD and I noticed you had 4WD. Does this make a difference, I know the 4WD has 4 corner LLS, my LLS is just on the rear end? Thanks again for your replies.

Old 08-17-2001, 08:09 PM
I believe the ride control computer is the same for the rear only or 4 corner LLS, but it may respond differently to turning it off. Of course you could always pull the connector that goes to the steering box itself, that would have to give full boost. With no power the variable orfice goes to full open, thats the way you want it in case something fails. Anyways the switch is the easiest thing once you locate it. I found out about this the hard way since I tried to use a simple switch to manually raise and lower the height. When I switched off the ride computer while driving I almost left the road since I was turning slightly. The difference in boost is dramatic. My switch was only doing the same thing as the service switch, only remotely. I'm sure curious to know what they did to eliminate the electronic orfice, seems like would have to reduce boost at higher pump speed ?

Quick Reply: Quick ratio steering for Expy - Is there such thing?