Expedition / Navigator

My Expy towed like a big dog!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Family Ride. I've been reading the posts about pulling with your Expy and wanted to let you know what set up I pull with. You have gotten some great advise from others and I'm sure you will make the correct decisions.

I have a '98 EB 4X4 with 3.73 gears tow package and LLS and I tow a 24ft enclosed trailer that carrys a race car. Loaded the trailer weighs 7340 lbs. Without passengers my set up weighs 13,020 lbs. Add 400 lbs for 2 passengers and Yep, I'm slightly over loaded. My first pull with the Expy was pretty scarry since I did not use a WD hitch. After changing to a WD that has dual cam sway controls the ride is 100% better. I do not tow in OD but then I usually only drive 60 to 65 mph max. I use the OEM hitch, Drawtite receiver and the dual cam setup that is suppose to control sway BEFORE if happens not after. My 24 ft. box will catch more wind than your boat however I would still suggest the WD setup. Most of your weight is probably at the back of the boat so a sway control may be even more important than the WD. Do you know the tongue weight of the boat? I suggest you measure your ball height without the boat then turn the LLS off and see how much it drops after putting the boat on it. After installing the WD setup you will feel like the truck and boat are one unit. Good Luck.

Last edited by Greg Mc; 09-27-2001 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:05 AM
Thanks Greg Mc

The problem is that if I use WD the surge brakes son't work. Then I've got a bigger problem and that's stopping my 12500 pounds or so with the truck alone.

Electric brakes are almost unheard of on boat trailers and even not legal in some states.

I found a site that showed how to measure tongue weight woth a bathroon scale and I may try it. I can say that twhen I drop the trailer on the backend drops about 2 inches. Of course LLS picks it back up.

I towed today about 220 miles with a whole array of different roads and speeds and I was still really impressed with the handling in straight's, corners, good highways and bad/small back roads. When the truck is sittong flat, the trailer and truck are as level as I could ever get it. As I tow more, I'm sure I'll find things that I think could be improved. WD sure sounds like it would be great to have, just not with a boat trailer this size. I like having it help me stop

Old 09-28-2001, 05:58 AM
There are electric brakes for boat trailers, but pretty much are designed for use in fresh water only.

There is one way for you to have your hydraulic trailer brakes AND a Weight Ditributing hitch. You need to replace the hydraulic surge brake hitch with a regular hitch and install an electro-hydraulic brake actuator on the winch post where it will not get dunked when you launch and retrieve. It's basically a battery powered power brake unit for the trailer. You hook it up to the brake controller system. You'll need to install the controller in the truck, of course.

Old 11-20-2001, 10:40 PM
I got bored so I thought I add the latest.

I did install a Putnam Class IV receiver, just to have that comfort of all of the equipment being rated from more than what I'm towing. The Putnam is rated at 8000# carrying weight.

I still must say, with all the towing I've been doing, in all types of weather, lots of wind, traffic, bad roads etc. this thing tows great! I've not once had wind, passing trucks or quick/.sudden manuvers make me feel uneasy. It feels in total control. ANd like someone mentioned about what it would be like with WD hitch, I'm sure that would make a difference, but it DOES feel like the Expy and boat/trailer are one. It sits nice and level and handles very stable. (see the pic in my sig "2000 Sea Ray 240 Sundeck")

The worse thing I've encountered at a ramp is something that any truck would experiance, even a 4x4. A couple of times on a wet steep ramp the front brakes would lock when backing down. I can still stop with the rears with no problem. Not once have I had a problem pulling her out.

After weighing the entire rig, with the boat loaded normal but with just under 1/2 tank of fuel and the Expy with half a tank of gas and no passengers, it weighed about 12200. On the very high side, I'd be about 12800-13000. Close to the 13500 GVWR but I'm surprised at how it handles and manuvers.

By the way, I was surprised, the Expy alone only weighs about 5200. The boat was right at 7000#. Fill her up with fuel and water and she'd be at about 7200-7300#.

For what it's worth.........

Old 11-26-2001, 03:30 PM
Towing comments

Thought I would add my comments regarding towing with the Expedition. I have a 99 EB 4x4 with the 3.73LS. I tow a Sunnybrook 29DBS travel trailer which weighs 6300lb 'dry' and about 6900lb with water, propane, clothes, etc. I've towed about 20k miles between NC and LA, FL, MD and love the way this truck handles. I use the factory receiver with a Reese dual-cam sway/WD setup and have never had a problem. IMO you can always use more power, but this rig handles what I need it to handle.

Quick Reply: My Expy towed like a big dog!