Expedition / Navigator

My Expy towed like a big dog!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My Expy towed like a "big" dog!

Well, I finally got to tow something. See sig for all the mods. Withouth knowing it, I was modding to buy a boat; a BIG boat.

I tested the Expy's ability to pull the hting out of the water, tow around curvy/hilly roads, big bumpy roads etc. Towed like a champ!! I was more impressed than I thought I would be. She made me proud and clinched the deal on our new boat. Oh, it weighs in at about 7200 pounds.

Mike, you'll probably be getting a call from the guy I'm buying the boat from up in Oklahoma. He's got a 2000 Expy identical to mine, but a 4x4. He also has a PS in a nice F350. He wants more from the Expy now that he's driving it more.

Last edited by FamilyRide; 08-30-2001 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2001, 11:58 PM
Thumbs up

FamilyRide,

Congrats on your new boat! You will love it (I'm a lake bum myself). Post some pics. Where in OK did you get it. Around Lake Texhoma? What lake you plan on taking it to the most? Glad to hear that you are so impressed w/ the X for towing. I am intrested in adding many of the additions to my Expedition that you have. Thanks for the info. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2001, 07:46 PM
Like a dog???

FamilyRide,
When I first read your subject line I thought I was going to read a complaint... take the "big" out and read it again Anyway congrats on the boat.... or as I refer to them... A big hole in the water where I pour money

Old 08-27-2001, 09:43 PM
AlanM96SS
Yes, the current owners keep it on Texoma on the OK side west of Durant. We'll probably spend some time there too. But we also have 2-3 other lakes nearby and 2-3 more within 2 hours drive.

MikeS
After I posted I thought the same thing. And I hear ya on the money. I already started looking for Mercruiser mods! You can't chip them, but you can buy a new computer. About $1000 for it and get about 25 HP out of it. I think I'll be happy with the 7.4 Bravo 3 stock set up for now!

Old 08-28-2001, 09:34 PM
Expedition Towing

Family Ride,

I hate to disagree with you but here goes, a 7200# is way to much load to pull consistently with your expedition. The most if it is 4 x 4 it can tow legally is 7300#. You have a great looking truck and a 5.4L engine which can tow more than it is rated for. Its not the engine its the suspension, brakes, etc. etc. I have the same Expedition you have and pulled a 6500# trailer with it and its not fun. The rear suspension is to giving. Your total GWCR is only around 13000 lbs and your truck weighs at least 5600 lbs, and the boat weighs 7200#'s I hope that includes the boat trailer. Where are you going to put gear and people. Sorry to be a nasayer but think again about your towing. You can't increase the GWVR of any vehicle with accessories.

Frank K.

Old 08-28-2001, 10:14 PM
Superexpo

I respectfully disagree. I'm not in any wau claiming to have increased GVWR at all. Everything that I've done will only make towing what it's rated for easier and much more stable.

As for the rating, with the tow package, LLS and 17" wheels, it's rated for 13500 GVWR with a tow rating of 7800#; 400 pounds more than a 4X4 maximum.

Granted, the class III hitch recommeds a max of 8000 (limited by the vehicle of course) with load balance which I'm not using. The consensous is that with a well balanced boat and trailer, the tongue wieght is right where it should be. Other trailers may have a much different weight distribution. And I'm not doing what sooo many people do; use a standard 5000# ball mount and god knows what rating ball. I'm using a 10k rated bal mount and 8k rated ball. Ok, that has nothing to do with towing except that I should have any fear of a ball shearing or ball mount snaping.

At a very max, fueled, loaded and full of passengers (I usually carry 3 of us including a 3 1/2 year old) I'm not sure I could hit 6000# with the Expy. The trailer and boat, full of fuel and water (about 550lbs) would wiehgt about 7200# on the high side.

That puts me at a very conservative 13200 lbs. Reality using your numbers at closer to 12500.

From what I did with it, it towed great. I tested braking, curves, sudden manuvers (within reason) and it felt very solid. Of course the trailer has surge brakes which makes braking a breeze (can't tell it's there even under heavy braking)

I know of other people that do over load them and although they seem to do OK, I wouldn't do it. I feel like this one is the most I'd be comfortable with.

Wow, let me jump back out here after being away from this site for a while and I get going and won't stop.

Old 08-29-2001, 02:44 PM
FamilyRide-Congrats on the new boat!!!
But where were ya?? Didnt see ya pull up to my boat dock!! Didnt you say you'd come over for the WHOLE weekend and take us cruisin'? hu? didnt ya? didnt ya? LOL!
Im proud for ya,I know the wife is enjoying it. If ya get a chance, post some pics of that bad boy!

Old 08-29-2001, 04:08 PM
Hey Shank,

We pick it up Friday. I'll try to get some pics up......

I keep thinking, I could have saved money and bought an "L". Oh well, this will be fun!!!!

Old 08-29-2001, 08:14 PM
FamilyRide... where did you get the Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings?? I think I want to get a set of these. Might do the Hellwig also. Thanks...

Old 08-29-2001, 08:30 PM
I got them at Sumitt Racing. You can try the website www.sumittracing.com but you'll probably have to call. It's a special order and takes about a month to get. The front swaybar kit is only about $29 though. And make sure they order the set for the 2 wheel drive. My first set came in and it was the wrong one.

We may end up with twins just about. I don't have the front windows tinted but I'm going to soon. Just haven't gotten around to it. I need to cut the heat down, I'm getting old and intolerant. Of course mine hasn't been cleaned in about a month or more.

Old 08-30-2001, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info...

Sun Masters in old town Lewisville did the windows while I waited in about 8 minutes. $60 bucks no tax. 972-221-0148. Nice guys down there, not like all the other bussinesses.

We might have twins, there seems not much to choose from in the sway bar stuff. I have a guy at work with a 2000 Expy EB and wants me to order two of everything I get for the suspension. He does not like going 35 mph around a cloverleaf and still being scared.

Later

Old 08-31-2001, 10:20 PM
And the success continues..........

I've heard comparisons from a lot of people with Chevy and Ford tow vehicles. Generally, the Chevy's usually get the advantage in MPG towing. I'm hearing of 8-10 MPG with the Ford's.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but today I picked up my new boat (just over 7000 pounds) and towed it home about 120 miles in nasty humid weather and even a few rain showers. Driving with AC on at 55-60, I was getting 13 to 14.5 and at 60-65 about 12. The hills killed me on MPG or 14 MPG was easy.

We got stuck in rush hour traffic (yuk bug time with a boat) for about the last 20 miles and we got home while sitting on 11.9 MPG.

And oh, did I mention how well the Expy handled the boat!!!

Old 09-01-2001, 01:08 AM
Familyride;

I think you have a good setup for your needs and I don't want to belabor the point but most good RV'rs and big trailer pullers try to leave a 15 to 20% safety margin. Its not the pulling its the stopping and swaying. We even have RV'rs who pay $2600 to $3000 for Hensley and Pullrite hitches. Sorry if you don't agree with me as I think you have a beautiful truck. I have been towing for at least 30 years and have been in a lot of situations where I wished I would of had more truck. I'll never say another word on this subject, as you feel you are ok.

Superexpo

Old 09-04-2001, 10:34 PM
Remember, Indeed you hitch is only rated for 5k load dead weight. (tounge weight aside...) U may consider a class 4 hitch at some time. Mark

Old 09-26-2001, 07:26 PM
Just a follow up to the towing and weight issue.

I've looked all over for as much info as I can to find the right setup that I feel 100% comfortable with. Here's the problem, the class III receiver is rated at 5k carry weight and 8800 with weight distributing. I had my trucka sn boat wieghed today for grins. I was right on with the max wieght of the boat. 20# shy of 7000 and she has a little over a half a tank of fuel. With a full tank of fuel and water she'd be right at about 7200, maybe 7300#.

The truck and boat together were 12230 with the trunk on les than a half a tank of fuel. Add truck fuel, my family and I filled up the water tank on the boat and I'd be right at about 12500-12600.

Now, I've tried to find WD setup with no luck. The trailer has surge brakes. Reese told me "sure" I can add WD. Just adjust it were standing still it's almost loose. They said it would help only if I hit really big dips in the road. Others say WD shouldn't be used with surge brakes at all, because (confirming what Reese said) with WD properly installed, the surge brakes would be able to function. They all agreed that the brakes were much more important and I agree with them.

Next, a class IV. So far, only Putnam makes a Class IV for the Expedition. Most class IV's are made for long wheel base trucks. Others like Reese, say that class IV is a class III with WD.

I stoped by a hitch shop today and they too confirmed what I've been being told. He went on to say that the class III I have would probably tow 20000 # as long as I could keep the load level and keep the tongue weight were it should be.

I've email Putnam to see exactly why there class IV that's rated at 8000# carry weight, is rated more. If it actually does mount further up on the frame to distribute weight better, I'll switch to it. If it's like the hitch shop told me that it's probably just a heavier hitch with larger bolts, maybe more bolts, I won't. The OEM actually uses larger bolts than most do. And the Putnam is a "bolt on" no drill installation.

So far, I haven't once found the truck swaying, porposing(sp) and even in the rain with some real tests (2 people have asked about the rain citing that rain is a sure sign if you're in trouble as the front wheels can easily lose traction).

So far the consensous has been (Draw-Tite, Reese and the Uhaul Hitch shop, Putnam hasn't responded yet) that I'm fine. My advantage is the LLS rear. It really keep the load level.

I'm not done. I may still spend the measly $170 for the class IV receiver if for nothing else, the great finish they use. (Ford OEM hitches start to fade in 2 days and rust in 4)

Whether you beleive it or not, I DO appreciate all the advice and I am still looking for the best, and most safe set-up. For now, it looks like everyone that has seen it says I'm fine. I may be fine, but I wouldn't want to go any heavier. If I were towing anything other than a boat trailer, I would have WD!

Quick Reply: My Expy towed like a big dog!