Expedition / Navigator

My New 2001 XLT Sport 4x4 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile My New 2001 XLT Sport 4x4 4.6L

Hi,

Just picked up my new 2001 Expy XLT Sport 4x4 with 4.6 engine and leather. I am psyched! The truck is laser red. So far, so good...BUT...the top of my dashboard nearest the windshield is rattling like crazy when I hit bumps. I have to bring it back to get it fixed. It feels loose as all hell. The Ford dealer "threw" in a 6 disk CD changer, and I wonder if he had to pull off that part of the dash to complete the install. The mechanic may have broke something. I will let you know. ALSO...when the driver's side front window is down, something in the door rattles like crazy. I think I had the EXACT same problem with my 1998 EB when it was new! The dealer fixed it back then, so I will also have to complain about this. Other than that, I LOVE THE TRUCK...so far. I LOVE the way the third seat locks in a "stowed" position now. This has a lready proven to be a HUGE improvement.

Last edited by cjdietzman; 09-04-2001 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-05-2001, 08:12 PM
Re: My New 2001 XLT Sport 4x4 4.6L

Originally posted by cjdietzman
Hi,

BUT...the top of my dashboard nearest the windshield is rattling like crazy when I hit bumps. I have to bring it back to get it fixed. It feels loose as all hell.
My fathers truck does the same thing.

01' F150

Old 09-06-2001, 12:20 AM
Re: My New 2001 XLT Sport 4x4 4.6L

the top of my dashboard nearest the windshield is rattling like crazy when I hit bumps.
I know the exact rattle/squeak you are talking about. Well, it sounds like the same thing as in my X, but I hear it all the time when traveling at higher speeds (55+), not just when hitting bumps. To me it sounds like it is right below the dash, behind the gage cluster. I asked the dealer about it when I had it in last time because the moonroof got stuck open and they said they could not re-create the sound. I thought about making someone ride in the truck so that I could point it out to them, but didn't have time to do it then. Has anyone figured out what this squeak is and how to fix it? Do the dealers usually cover repairing rattles/squeaks? I remeber reading something in the warranty paper work about squeaks/rattles not being covered unless they are causing a problem with the functioning of the vehicle. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-06-2001, 12:22 AM
By the way, don't you just love the sport package on these trucks. Makes the XLT's look even better than the EB's in my opinion.

Old 09-06-2001, 09:12 AM
The front top panel of my dashboard nearest the windshield is totally loose in the middle. That is DEFINTELY what is making the noise on my truck.

I had my 1998 XP Eddie Bauer 4x4 since it was new, and when the XLT Sports came out, I knew I wanted one. I love the styling, and the 17" wheels are awesome. That's why I got one!

Old 09-06-2001, 05:12 PM
The front top panel of my dashboard nearest the windshield is totally loose in the middle. That is DEFINTELY what is making the noise on my truck.

So is ours, and our neighbors truck.

And his is an 01' too.

Old 09-07-2001, 09:06 AM
fast54triton and others...

Let me get this straight. I am referring to the top front panel on the dashboard. It is the one CLOSEST to the windshield, and it is the one with the vents cut out in it for the windshield defogger. Basically this panel is VERY loose in the center of the dashboard, and if I tap on it with my finger, it moves quite a bit. Is this the same thing that yours does?

Quick Reply: My New 2001 XLT Sport 4x4 4.6L