Expedition / Navigator

Rust Belt Issues to watch for... '97 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust Belt Issues to watch for... '97 XLT

I'll be watching the possible recall. My bars were replaced and bigger washers installed at about 10k mi.. On my 5 yr old '97 xlt my horn has failed (salt dust I'm guessing, any word on mfg. free replacement??)Since the OEM didn't last I put in a pair of real horns from one of the biggest land barges I could think of (late 70's Lincon Town Car... from a bone yard $15) Sound matches the Beast!!!
Hood latch return spring rusted out (keeping it oiled would help), the hood would'nt latch.
Door ajar switch drivers door, WD 40 seemed to clean it..

Front brake rotors seize ON real gooood... (I had my second set lock up at 2yrs !!!!) One cut to the hub with hack saw saves much pounding and soaking.
And just recently REAR PARKING BRAKES !!!! The pivoting lever rusts up and drag brakes. Many of these parts are dealer only. I just cleaned (wire brush and nev seeze) but a friend at dealer replaced the whole shebang!!! Backing plates and all as an assembly!!! Had to open rear end and pull axel..... $$$$$$ on a '99 in the rust belt.
shoes are $60+ and springs + pins and springs +++.

Other than that Great truck 55K mi Rust Sucks!!!!! Mark in Ohio

Old 12-07-2002, 02:35 PM
I'll be waiting with you then, because I don't ever expect a recall on these rusted parts. It is a known thing that happens all the time in the Rust belt.

I am with you on that.

My hood latch spring is rusted pretty good as well. I have all but stopped using my E-brake, except in an emergency, because it locks up. I hate that, especially since i have a manual tranny.

Door ajar switch, well I couldn't find that one, so I just shut the door harder or ignore it, since it is only a light.

Rich, Michigan

Old 12-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by relswick
...Door ajar switch, well I couldn't find that one, so I just shut the door harder or ignore it, since it is only a light.

Rich, Michigan
The door ajar switch is part of the courtesy light switch which is part of the door latch mechanism. If it isn't too far gone, you can bring it back to life by cleaning the door latch mechanism with a WD-40 type spray. Find somehing that won't kill paint.

Quick Reply: Rust Belt Issues to watch for... '97 XLT