Expedition / Navigator

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires

I am in the process of looking to replace my Firestone W AT's
Just looking to get a feel of what others have gone with.
I was leaning toward BFG A/T's but some one said I would not like the noise from them. Others I am looking at are Yoko Geolander A/T +II and the Michelin Cross Terrain.
Any thoughts?

Also does anyone know what the largest tire size is that can go on the stock 17" rim? I am looking to get more height w/out going w/a lift as of yet.
Thanks

Old 09-06-2001, 04:10 AM
Iceman77,

I relpaced my Wilderness A/T's last week with Yokohama Geolander A/T's. I've driven about 500 miles since, including a 150 hwy miles yesterday and I really think they're a great tire.

Next to an M/T tread these have what I think is the most aggressive look also.

Although I havn't gone through any snow just yet, from the marks they leave in the sand they should grip pretty well. There is also a major difference in wet traction. With my Wilderness A/T's I was afraid to drive in the rain becasue I would hydroplane constantly. I went out in a major downpour with the Yokohama's and couldn't tell the difference between wet and dry. They stuck to the pavement perfectly. They are also fairly quiet for a truck tire and the sidewall shines with more gloss than any other tire I've seen.

I really love these tires

Good price too http://www.tirerack.com

I purchased mine at a Tires Plus because they have 90 days, no interest and I didn't want to pay anything. Just get them replaced and wait for my check from Ford to pay off the credit for the new tires.

Last edited by AjRagno; 09-06-2001 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-06-2001, 10:16 PM
I replaced the stock tires on my 4x4 SuperCrew with Yokos and I'll have to say the difference was unbelievable. I couldn't spin them on dry pavement and could barely do it on wet pavement. As for snow it might as well not have been there because these babies ate it up like my truck drank gas. GET THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2001, 12:42 PM
I went with Goodyear Wrangler 6ply, they are great

Old 09-21-2001, 11:33 AM
Go with TOYO PROXES S/T if you want performance
especially in the rain. These are great.

I have 285/60/18 on my EXPY. There M/S rated.

The BF are too loud on the highway.

TOYO are a powerful combination of superb handling, confident all-season performance, and a smooth, stable ride.

The H and V speed rated Proxes S/T offers plus-sizing opportunities on pick-up trucks and sports utility vehicles.

500 Mile or 45 day trial offer available. See your local Toyo dealer for details. www.toyo.com

Features and Benefits

All-Season Performance
Mud and snow (M&S) rated for all-season performance

Wet and Dry Handling
High angle tread groove to resist aquaplaning

Low angle tread grooves excellent for wet handling

High ply turn-up casing construction for handling and stability

Steering Response
High bead filler for excellent steering response

Durability and Long Life
Jointless two-cap ply for high-speed endurance

Cap/base compound for high speed durability. The base compound helps the tire run cooler. The cap compound provides high friction and wear resistance.

Rim protector to guard against wheel and sidewall damage

Quiet, Stable Ride
High tensile steel belts for ride comfort and stable ride

High-modulus bead filler and strong polyester casing assure responsive handling with excellent ride comfort

Sporty Appearance
Aggressive tread pattern and sidewall design for sporty appearance

Jointless bead wire for uniformity and balance

Ratings
H and V speed-rated (depending on size)
UTQG Treadwear 420
UTQG Traction A
UTQG Temperature A
M and S Rated

good luck

Old 09-22-2001, 08:56 PM
Tire Size

The tires you have are about 32" diam. I don't think you can go much more then a 1/4" bigger without some type of lift.

97 Teal Green XLT
5.4 ltr
JBA Stainless Headers
3.73 LS rear
4 Wheel Drive
Steel Horse Billit Grill
Xenon Super White Head and Driving Lights
Tow Package
Rear Load Leveling
Altezza Tail Lights
Euro clear Corners
Euro Clear Headlights
2000 Wheels
Ford fog lamps
Ford Bug Deflector
http://www.outlawtrucker.com/expfront72.jpg
http://www.outlawtrucker.com/expback72.jpg

Old 09-24-2001, 08:22 AM
Wink

I have 285/60/18's with a lowering kit (1.75"). The only adjustment I had to make was bending the brakeline bracket back and changing the bolt from square head to round head.

Old 10-02-2001, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replaced with Michelins

Being a Michelin fan, I replaced my OEM Firestone ATs with Michelin CrossTerrains. I love these tires. They have no road noise and have done extremely well in the rain. With winter just around the corner, I can wait to drive them in the snow.

Oh yeah, I just got back from the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Took my Expy on the beach and had a great time, too!

I would suggest the Michelins. Just my 2 cents...

Old 10-02-2001, 04:32 PM
What was the price of the CrossTerrains? I saw some today while getting my GY'rs rotated. I have the standard 255 X 16" for the EB. The manager said I could go "up" one size that related to a 1/2" difference in height and 1 1/2" in width. $165 each. What do the Toyo's and Yokahama's cost?

Old 10-02-2001, 06:53 PM
When looking for any info about tires I think the http://www.tirerack.com website is very helpfull.

They have reviews from people who use the tires as well as photos. If you decide to buy them, they have very, very good prices. After I puchased mine from a local Tire's Plus I found that I would have saved over $100.00 if I bought them at tirerack.com and had them shipped to me and dealer mounted.

From www.tirerack.com
Tires and shipping=$400.00
Dealer mounting and balancing=$75.00

From Tires Plus
Tires,mounting, balancing=$569.00
Scratches on Clearcoats rims=Free!!!
Musical sound of weights flying off wheels=Included!!!
4 return trips for proper balancing=PRICELESS

Last edited by AjRagno; 10-02-2001 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:14 AM
Price Club

I got my CrossTerrains at Price Club (Costco) for $135\each installed. After 8,000 miles on them, I still love them and can't wait to see how they perform in the snow.

Old 10-04-2001, 11:06 AM
Tires

I went with the Explorer Pro Comp 33x12.5 AT on my stock height XLT. They look good on the 17" rim and do not rub at all. Mine have about 7,500 miles on them and are getting a bit louder because they need to be rotated. So far I'm very happy with them. I've had BFG's before and they get loud over time. Good luck with you choice.

Old 10-04-2001, 11:37 AM
BFG AT-KO is not that loud

I put a set of BFG AT-KO's on my X this spring.... Strangest part of the sound they make has to do with speed... It seems they are the loudest running around town (under 30 mph) anything over 30 mph they become quiet or at least their noise is not noticeable over normal road noise. I think they designed the tread to do this.

Great tire for all around. They absolutely kick *** in snow...! (I had them on a 90 jeep YJ for 4 years, and was sold on them then)

I'd go BFG...
The new KO's even have road side assistance included... you get stuck and they pay to pull you out... for two years!

Old 10-08-2001, 04:32 PM
Mich CrossTerrains & Syn Fluids

Jeff,

What size did you put on your XLT? Also, how happy are you with the synthetic PS and AT fluids. I'm at 31K and due to change mine. Notice any difference?

Thanks,

Keith

Old 10-08-2001, 05:19 PM
Thumbs up Very happy

S76drvr-
I installed the factory size Michelin CrossTerrain tires, 255/70R16, on my Expy. Honestly, I didn't feel like fooling around with changing speedo gears, etc. I was\am happy with the stock tires size. It's mostly a commuting vehicle with seaonsal trips to the beach and mountains that require 4x4, and a good bit of towing. After 10K on those tires, I'm glad I chose them.

As for the synthetic AT & PS, I am extremely pleased. The tranny shifts are much smoother and, couple with the Superchip, make for a very responsive unit. The PS is definitely quieter, but it will take a couple of rounds of emptying the PS canister to remove all the OEM fluid. After that, you'll notice a lot less noise.

I used Mobil 1 Mecron Synthetic in both.

Quick Reply: Tires