Expedition / Navigator

Expedition vs. Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Expedition vs. Excursion

Looking to replace my 2001 F-150 Supercrew in the next 6-8 months when the lease is up, and I'm up in the air between an Expedition and an Excursion. This will be my daily driver, but more importantly, it will be used to tow the boat.
Our boat is a 28' Powerquest, listed as 4800 lbs dry. I figure it's anywhere between 7500 and 8500 all up, depending on trailer (not purchased yet). The towing trips would not be often or long, with perhaps a couple of 200-300 mile trips per year.

What do you think? I know the Excursion would pull it with ease, but it is significantly more $$ up front for the Powerstroke, and I think the V-10 will kill me at the pump. OTOH, I think the boat might me just a bit much for a Expedition, and the big boy can tow the new boat once 2 foot-itis sets in . We had a 1999 Expy 4x4 with 5.4 and it was just on the borderline of being underpowered, IMO. Does anyone know the tow rating of the Expy 4x4? I can't find anything on Ford's USELESS website. (side note, it is the most ****-poor website I've seen from a major company ).

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thx,

Mike

Old 09-10-2001, 07:47 PM
Actually Mike, it's fords web site where I've found all the tow specs. Anyhow, the 4x4 with 17" wheels, tow package and 5.4 is rated at a max of 7400LBS. The 2wd, same set up is rated at 7800.

I tow our Sea Ray (boat, 4900LBS dry, 1650 for the trailer so a peak of about 7200 loaded with fuel, water and gear) and my Expy pulls great. MPG are about 14+ at 55MPH and drop about 1MPG per 5MPH increase.

The only thing I am going to do is replace the factory Class III hitch with a Class IV. Other than that, she does great. However, An Excursion with a PS would almost be like towing nothing!

Old 09-11-2001, 12:38 AM
I love my 01 X-EB.
My wife howeve did not want anything larger.
I on the otherhand want and will still probably get an 02 Excursion.
Check out this Excursion.
This takes the big beast to a new level...not to mention 22MPG and a 14.9 qtr mile!
Wicked Excursion
Later
Greg

Quick Reply: Expedition vs. Excursion