Expedition / Navigator

Automatic 4WD,,,

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Automatic 4WD,,,

Hey guys, got a 2000 eddie bauer, was wondering about this: Is there anything i can do to defeat the automatic 4wd engagement? So when the rear wheels spin on ice or snow the system will NOT work? I would just rather turn the switch ( like 97 and 98 F-150's) to engaged the system,, wire? F-150 switch? Chip? Any info would be most appreciated!!

Old 09-19-2001, 11:11 AM
Transfer Case

The Expedition/Navigator has a completely different transfer case than the F150. The one in our trucks is an AWD system with a electomagnetic clutch which controls how much torque goes to the front wheels (it is not on/off like the F150 system).

A couple of possibilities:

1) You could intercept the wiring at the transfer case and run to a switch in the cab which would allow you to prevent the transer case from operating (but I would not do it).

2) You could adapt the front axle disconnect system and 4 position switch from an 97-98 Expedition. This is how Ford allowed the owner to lock out 4x4 on these models. For 99, they deleted this from the truck (probably for cost savings).

Good Luck

Ian

Old 09-19-2001, 03:13 PM
Wink auto 4wd,,

Thanks alot Ian,, usually i sit in the Lightning forums, but we do have the Expy also, actually it is quite a vehicle!! and we had a 4x4 f-150 supercab before that, i just really liked the shift on the fly in the pickup, sounds like to much screwing around though, but i thought if it was something easy,,,, Go easy Greg,,,

Old 09-19-2001, 05:51 PM
As far as option #2 goes I was told that the computer would not work the old switch. I would really like to know what options are out there.

Quick Reply: Automatic 4WD,,,