Expedition / Navigator

Edelbrock Ias.......for What It's Worth

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edelbrock Ias.......for What It's Worth

I left my house for a 15 minute drive Wednesday only to find out that when I arrived at my destination, there was oil all over the back of my Expy. I crawled under the back only to find a lot more of the stuff on everything. And there it was, pouring from the left shock. I was pretty hot about it...these things aren't cheap! Apparently a seal blew. I called Edelbrock in CA about 1:30 EST. At first I thought I was getting the run around. Only a VP could approve shipping me another one overnight. Long story short, UPS showed up with a new one at 12:00 noon Thursday. Of couse my dad and I had to install the SOB. We managed the repair and it drives just fine. Edelbrock came through this time but I am questioning the quality of the product. FWIW

Old 10-08-2001, 12:09 AM
I had the same problem on one of my rears. Called them and played phone tag with the guy for a few days. Wound up replacing the rears with Rancho's.

Old 10-08-2001, 11:35 PM
Do either of you do any off roading or anything "heavy duty"?

I ask because I was told that Edelbrick wasn't the best choice for heavy duty service. I've started towing a pretty heavy boat and so far it's been great. However, I'm wondering if I had known I was going to buy a boat, I may have gone with Bilstein or even Rancho's.

My fingers are crossed that I don't have any problems.

Old 10-09-2001, 11:00 PM
I don't do any towing. In fact I took off the factory hitch because it was ugly. No off- roading here. Anything remotely resembling dirt is out of the question...parking lots, driveways or otherwise. We haven't even been to see our friends' new house because they live down a dirt road.

Good luck with the Edelbrocks!!!!!

Old 10-09-2001, 11:05 PM
First time to post, been lurking for quite a bit but this thread led me to join in the party.

Just replaced my stock shocks with Bilsteins last week. Did tons of research looking for reasonably priced shocks that could handle off road as well as loads from towing a small RV. Never found a negative comment about Bilsteins in any off road mag I looked at. Likewise couldn't find a negative comment about them in any RV mags either. However, I always liked Edelbrock's reputation so was still up in the air.

My decision was made when I stumbled across a sale on Bilsteins in the Camping World catalog. $58/ shock (cheaper than I could find IAS anywhere) and the topper of $4.50/shock for installation. I think of myself as a DIY guy, but typically spend more than that on hand cleaner every time I open the hood.

So far, very pleased. No longer bounce uncontrollably at every seam in the road. No longer flop from side to side on uneven track. Taking out the trailer next weekend and will have the first towing report.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Ias.......for What It's Worth