Expedition / Navigator

Goodyear Wrangler RT/S

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler RT/S

I am replacing the Firestone Wilderness AT on my 01 Expy and the dealer wants to replace them with the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. I was wondering if anyone replaced their tires with this brand and if there was any difference between the two in quality. If I take it to the dealer there are no out of pocket cost. Which is good, but If these tires are any better or if not as good then I want to look else where and get reimbursed for purchasing different tires. I have thought about the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV, but not sure if I want to spend extra money if I don't have to.

Old 10-15-2001, 02:37 PM
The dealer replaced my Firestones with the RT/S and so far so good. Definite difference in handling and road noise (better). I expect 35K+ out of them with rotation every 7K to prevent cupping. I'll probably go with Mich CrossTerrains next or Toyo's.

Old 10-15-2001, 03:01 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My truck came with Wrangler APs. As many have said, I don't like how they handle in the rain. I'm just not in a position to throw away tires that have tread on them and will pass inspection. So, I'll wait till they are wore out. I just take the tires into consideration while driving wet surfaces.

The bad news is I have 41K on them and from the looks of the tread they will go 60-70K easy.

(Rotated every 10k)

Old 10-15-2001, 09:57 PM
Saying "Wrangler RT/S" is like saying Ford F-150 Pickup.

In the parking lot at the office, I've discovered at least 5 different tread patterns of Wrangler RT/S.

There are P-series, as well as LT series.

The talk on this board relative to the W RT/S tires has been decidedly and overwhelmingly negative -- and I stand as one of the lone (perhaps ignorant or naive) drivers who is actually pretty happy with mine (LT245/75R16 D).

At 29,000 miles, they appear able to hit the 50,000 mile mark, work great in the snow, grip to my amazement in the rain, and are as noisy as mud-n-snow tires have a right to be.

Just the opposite of what others have reported.

Someday, perhaps I'll buy a set of 'good' tires and never return to Goodyear -- but then again...

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler RT/S