Expedition / Navigator

'97 Expedition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '97 Expedition Problems

All,

Picked up a used '97 Expedition XLT w/5.4L 8 cylinder and 4x4 capability off a used car lot about 2 weeks ago. Mileage was actually fairly high at 86200 when I took delivery. Since receiving the vehicle, I have added about 400 miles to the odometer. Have been driving this vehicle fairly regularly over the past several days in order to isolate any problems before the dealer warranty expires.

I have run across two potential problem areas which I could use owner feedback on as I begin the process of having this vehicle evaluated by a 3rd party mechanic.

It MAY be my imagination, but in the last 5 days or so the amount of engine noise transmitted into the cabin appears to have increased significantly at a stop in every gear with the exceptions of park and neutral. I have been paying close attention to the tachometer. The engine tends to idle just above the 500 rpm mark. It MAY be my imagination, but I seem to recall that during my first week of ownership the idle rpm was dead on at 500 rpm.

In addition to the issue above, I have also noticed a significant amount of brake noise when bringing the vehicle to a complete stop at a low speed. Although stopping power is actually more than sufficient, the brakes emit a piercing squeal just before the vehicle is fully stopped. Interestingly, the vehicle must be driven for a few miles before this squealing noise becomes evident.

Other than the above, my only other concern is a significant amount of rust on the underbody.

Would appreciate any feedback you can provide regarding any of the concerns outlined above. I intend to keep this vehicle, but I would like to concentrate repair $$ on true problem areas rather than imagined changes in operational performance.

Thanks....

Rough&Rugged
'97 Expedition XLT 4x4 5.4L

Quick Reply: '97 Expedition Problems