Expedition / Navigator

What's the worst that could happen if........

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What's the worst that could happen if........

I was just wondering what's the worst thing that could happen if I put a 20A fuse in a slot that should have a 5a. Just wondering because this is what my dealership did recently to my truck when they tried to repair an electrical problem (the second time in fact in a month). I've already posted one thread on this incident (I think my dealership is trying to kill me) but I want to know how severe the damage could have been. I checked the manual and it states on page 175 that severe wire damage and fire could result. Please fellas give me some feedback, I'm trying to at least get free truck out of this.

Old 10-22-2001, 03:39 PM
I wish you had stated what the 5 Amp fuse was for. The worst that could happen is fire, death, carnage. A flaming vehicle on the side of the road.

How serious this is depends on what the fuse is running between. The fuses protect ciruits from power surges that cause damge and sometimes fires.

A 20A fuse would likely fail before any damage occured but not necessarily. If the wires became ungrouned and the fuse held more power and heat then the wire, the wire would melt or catch fire as well as whatever is being powered. The fuse is there to protect against surges. When too much power goes through the fuse, it breaks and as a result, no more power is flowing and the risk of fire is averted.

The dealer techs are either idiots or are trying to fix a problem by getting around something they cannot pinpoint. If the fuse is capible of more power and heat than the wires, the wires will melt before the fuse does which is the exact opposite effect the engineers had in mind when the put that 5A fuse in there.

Old 10-22-2001, 03:49 PM
Okay:) I found the original post.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=54040

Something is not grounded. From personal experience, I would look to the wires inside the shift lever leading up to the O/D button. Many have had this problem The wires fray or seperate and lose their ground which blows a fuse.

I don't know why your truck surged but I do know that if your O/D switch is not grouned then it can blow the fuse for your insterment panel as well as your lights.

Quick Reply: What's the worst that could happen if........