Expedition / Navigator

Exp trade in

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exp trade in

I have a 99 EB 4x4 with all the options with only 20K miles, in what I would call excellent shape. I have been considering trading it in on a '01 F150 SC with an equivalent package. Expy is just to big, and I hate putting boat stuff, dog, fertilizer, etc in the back amongst all that leather. Truck sticker is about $35K. Best trade in so far has been $21K. Kind of disappointed on the trade in. All kinds of excuses from Ford dealers, but considering the hot water Ford has been in with tires, piston slap, incorrect radiators on towing ppackages, I would think they'd be out looking for business. Anyone have other thoughts?

Old 11-08-2001, 07:50 AM
SUV's are plentiful and taking a hit. The current state of the economy isn't helping either. You'll take the biggest depreciation hit the firt year or two. You're also competing with new vehicle incentives like 0% financing, low prices, etc. So the dealer has to take your car in trade, try to sell it for a profit and at a price that's more attractive than a new vehicle.
Unfortunately, its' a tough time to try unloading an Exp. Try different dealers. What you are being offered does seem low. '99 XLT's in my area are selling between $16 & $18 K. Leasing companies are also currently taking huge hits on SUV returns.

Old 11-08-2001, 03:28 PM
Re: Exp trade in

Originally posted by jamoson
I have a 99 EB 4x4 with all the options with only 20K miles, in what I would call excellent shape. I have been considering trading it in on a '01 F150 SC with an equivalent package. Expy is just to big, and I hate putting boat stuff, dog, fertilizer, etc in the back amongst all that leather. Truck sticker is about $35K. Best trade in so far has been $21K. Kind of disappointed on the trade in. All kinds of excuses from Ford dealers, but considering the hot water Ford has been in with tires, piston slap, incorrect radiators on towing ppackages, I would think they'd be out looking for business. Anyone have other thoughts?
KSinLA

I feel you pain!! My X is a 2000 XLT with the sport package and it now has 25,300 miles on it. The original stick price on this one was $36,800 - the most loaded you could get an XLT, just doesnt have 4wd. Anyway, the ford dealers around here want to give me $21,000!! That is $15,800 deprecipation in just 1.5 years!! Of course i didnt pay sticker for it, so that means i will be eating a deprecipation of $12,800 if i trade it in. I owe much more than trade in on the truck. It is true with all the incentives being offered right now, it has played hell on the used car market. You at least have an advantage over mine; yours is an EB and 4X4. Everyone i have talked to would buy mine if it was and EB w/ 4x4. Think next time i will 4x4 just for the resale value even though i have no value for it. As a matter of fact, i see no reason whatsoever for 4x4 in OK unless you are going hunting. We get at max 2 weeks of snow a year. If people cant drive for two weeks in the snow, they shouldn't be driving at all. Well i'm getting of the subject now. Good luck selling your truck! You'll need it!

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...&ac_afflt=none

Old 11-08-2001, 03:30 PM
Re: Exp trade in

Originally posted by jamoson
KSinLA

I feel your pain!! My X is a 2000 XLT with the sport package and it now has 25,300 miles on it. The truck in is PERFECT condition, i dont drive it in the rain for crying out loud! The original sticker price on this one was $36,800 - the most loaded you could get an XLT, just doesnt have 4wd. Anyway, the ford dealers around here want to give me $21,000!! That is $15,800 deprecipation in just 1.5 years!! Of course i didnt pay sticker for it, so that means i will be eating a deprecipation of $13,300 if i trade it in. I owe much more than trade in on the truck. It is true with all the incentives being offered right now, it has played hell on the used car market. You at least have an advantage over mine; yours is an EB and 4X4. Everyone i have talked to would buy mine if it was and EB w/ 4x4. Think next time i will buy 4x4 just for the resale value even though i have no value for it. As a matter of fact, i see no reason whatsoever for 4x4 in OK unless you are going hunting. We get at max 2 weeks of snow a year. If people cant drive for two weeks in the snow, they shouldn't be driving at all. Well i'm getting off the subject now. Good luck selling your truck! You'll need it!

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...&ac_afflt=none

Old 11-08-2001, 11:36 PM
You got it on the current market. My 2000 EB listed for just under $40k. I buy on the A plan which was about $32. In the past 2-3 years it was easy to trade out in one year buying like this and worst case, break even. Now, mine's in like new condition and I would expect about $23-$24 as a high offer in trade (of course it's now 2 years old). Luckily IF I were to trade, the incentives would make it easier to swallow and I don't owe much of anything. Now the sad part, dealers around North Texas are selling new 2001 EB's like mine (plus they have the entertainment package thrown in free from Ford, a regional incentive) for about what I paid on the "A" plan. Now the "A" plan does usualy have additional incentive but it's still sad when "A" plan is about $2000 behind invoice and they are selling them retail for almost that.

Old 11-09-2001, 09:19 AM
Family Ride......

Throw in the new boat and you'll get 40K!

Old 11-09-2001, 11:45 PM
Throw in the new boat and I'll get a whole lot more than $40k

Quick Reply: Exp trade in