Expedition / Navigator

Steering Wheel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Wheel Removal

Does anyone know of away or a tool that I can use to remove my steering wheel off my Expy? I am upgrading to a Navigator steering wheel and can't get mine off. I went to Auto Zone a Kragen to get the steering wheel puller and it doesn't fit. Does anyone know where I could get one that would fit?

Old 11-13-2001, 01:30 AM
97EB_X,

Sorry but I don't know how to remove the steering wheel. However, I have a few questions for you. First of all, where did you get the nav steering wheel and how much? Secondly, will the airbag work properly? Also, what about the radio controls, are they useless? Thanks for the help and post pics!

Robert

Old 11-13-2001, 02:31 AM
I got the steering wheel off a guy on ebay. I saw the auction and e-mailed him and got it for $100 plus $5 for shipping!!! I had found one at a auto wrecker online and they wanted $270!!!! I went back to look at the original auction that I saw and it sold for
$185 so I think I got a good deal.
And as far as the air bag it fit fine. All the connections for the bag just come off the old steering wheel. And no the radio controls to my knowledge will not work. But I am upgrading my stereo so it would matter anyways, I am sure I can use the buttons for something else. I am going to have make a couple of wire adjustments to get it all to work but it looks fairly easy to do. I plan on taking picture when I do, and post a little how to tid bit on it.

Old 11-14-2001, 07:35 AM
Here's the steps to remove:
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable, then the positive cable and wait at least two minutes for the backup power supply to be depleted.
2. Disconnect the battery to starter relay cable.
3. Remove the two airbag module retaining screws and lift off the airbag module. They are covered by plugs on the other side of steering wheel.
4. Unplug the electrical connectors for the airbag and horn.
5. Remove the steering wheel bolt.
6. Mark the relationship of the steering wheel to the steering shaft and unplug the electrical connector for the steering wheel.
7. Use a two-jaw puller, remove the steering wheel. Do not atttempt to remove the steering wheel without using a puller or you could damage the column.
8. The airbag coil has a locking mechanism which prevents it from rotating after the steering wheel has been removed. If this lock is missing, apply two strips of tape acress it to prevent accidental rotation.
9. Before installing the steering wheel, make sure the airbag coil is properly aligned. The dot on the end of the steering shaft must be in the 9 o'clock position and the electrical lead for the coil must be in the 3 o'clock position. Take note of any other alignment marks which may be present on the airbag coil, and of any other instructions which may be printed on the coil. If the airbag coil is not aligned properly, rotate the hub of the airbag coil counterclockwise until it stops, then turn it in the opposite direction two revolutions.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Removal