Expedition / Navigator

SVT Thunder to be produced ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool SVT Thunder to be produced ?

Someone posted on the lightning board that the Thunder is going into production and will be introduced at the 02 auto show, with the 03 expy body style.

If this is true, hmm, might wanna trade up my 99 for a thunder.
Although i personally like the 99-01 body style cues from the lightning to be used on the thunder.
Your thoughts?
Heres the link:

http://www.bonforums.com/sales/naias_2002dst.htm

Old 11-16-2001, 01:36 PM
I hope this is true.

I have heard somethings first the THUNDER was just a concept.
Second I have heard rumors that it will go into production.

If it is true I will trade my 99Expy in a heart beat.
SVT says you have seen the LIGHTNING wait to hear the THUNDER !!! oh my GOD

The L owners on the forum got really p#@@ off when FORD decided to put a Supercharger in the HD

There were mad because they are no longer elite. I say at least
FORD kept in the same family.

Can you imagine how they will feel once the THUNDER goes into production.
It will be the best of both worlds room to fit the family and pretty fast to do low 14 in the 1/4 mile
L trucks are still the fast it just time they share the wealth.

Last edited by BIGREDEXPY; 11-16-2001 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2001, 02:02 PM
Talking

Good Point BigRed,

I love and respect the Lightning.... but really would like the option of having more than two people with me and seeing there faces as i smoke similiar lightining "competition".

Not to mention, seeing the other driver's expression as a 5,000lb "beast" of an SUV passes by them, all while doing this, sitting in comfort (not that the lightning isn't comfortable) and still being able to carry cargo in the trunk!

If only they could make the thunder with AWD, now wouldn't that be something!

380-400HP, 13 second - low 14s 1/4, AWD, 7-9 person seating, and trunk space !!!!!

CRAZY, huh?

Old 11-17-2001, 11:32 AM
I don't blame the Lightning owners for getting pissed. They should be glad, a blown Harley is the answer for all the whiners that wanted a supercab Lightning. Of course, those same people would also like to see 4 door Mustang GT's.

A supercharged Expy is just wrong. A lot of Expy owners, not necessarily our members but you know the ones I'm talking about, cant handle a 5000 lb 4X4 to begin with. You think adding another 100 horsepower wont be a dangerous thing?

Old 11-17-2001, 02:45 PM
True, many and most expedition owners probably don't need that much power in such a large SUV, but i doubt ford is trying to market the thunder to them anyways, just like the lightning is not marketed towards people who need "real" pickup trucks but just want performance in a sport truck form.

I think they should make the "thunder" but probably should make them in limited #'s, just like the lightning. If they had the thunder, im pretty sure that would put it in competition with the Mercedes ML55, Porche SUV or BMW X5(future MX5).

Old 11-26-2001, 04:20 PM
Hey J-150
There are some L owners on this site that dont even know how to drive there trucks. Remember there is no weight in the back of these L pickups. There was a guy who almost wipe out and crash ed into a divider.

The THUNDER is the right thing to do. Heck already some EXPY out there with aftermarket Supercharges on them.

There is market for the Thunder. Its about time SVT does it.

FYI stock Caddy Escalade has 85hp more than a stock Expy.
I dont think it is dangerous to drive an Caddy. So adding 100hp more to the Expy will not be dangerous just alot of fun and tire burnouts

Old 11-27-2001, 04:34 PM
Unfortunately they're not going to be produced. The end cost was going to be to high and with tight budgets it wasn't possible. Maybe in the future we'll see something. As far as the HD truck, it isn't going to put out the same power so the Lighting will still be king.

Quick Reply: SVT Thunder to be produced ?