Expedition / Navigator

Escalade vs Expy Thunder

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escalade vs Expy Thunder

Last night I test drove the new Escalade. All I can say it is WOW very nice truck. It made me think about trading my Expy ?
Dont get me wrong I love my truck and I hate those chebys/gmc.
Also the Escalade is very expensive 53g. The dealer had
22inch rims on this Escalade with 305/45/22 tires for an extra 5g

But unless Ford starts building the Thunder or adding much more
hp to there trucks I am leaning towards the Escalade.

It has 345hp and 380 trq. Not even a SUPERCHARGED EXPY
has thoses numbers. The Caddy is also doing high 14 in 1/4 mile
and that stock from factory.

Tell me what you Expy owner think? Please tell me I am doing the
wrong thing in trading my Expy.

Old 11-21-2001, 09:47 AM
Question is have you EVER seen one of those overgrown Caddy's OFF-ROAD.... Granted not toooo many Expy owner's take theirs offroad, but we can!!!

Old 11-21-2001, 10:14 AM
Are you sure a supercharged Expedition wouldn't pick up 85 HP, 20 TRQ. Seems like it would.

A supercharged Nav definitely would. I'd wait to see the 2003 engines (315 HP?) then put a blower in). $20K buys a lot of performance

Old 11-21-2001, 10:25 AM
Engine only tells a part of the story. Escalade is in a different category than Expy. I can't see myself owning one though. It to me looks like a big shiny coffin, all squareish with just enough curves to evoke that macabre image. What's up with the headlights anyway? If a rock chip hits that, I bet you gotta yank out and replace the whole tihng. Since the headlight is about as big as a Civic's windshield, it can't be cheap.

It is nice and plush inside though.

Old 11-21-2001, 10:41 AM
The Escalade is GM's answer to someone who doesn't want a Landcruiser, Lexus LX470, or BMW X5. It's a yuppie soccer mom mobile that isn't really designed for offroading but can tow. I only wish you could drop the motor in an Expy without major mods.

Old 11-21-2001, 03:54 PM
Id rather own a 3 hp 4 pounds of torque dead on the side of the road 1960 ford rust bucket than ever own a GM product. But thats just my retarded opion

Old 11-21-2001, 05:46 PM
C'mon, most of us use trucks as family haulers, my friends have these trucks and they are sweet BUT we all know how much oil the Caddy's spill..........OH and the great quality paint, been there done it, had no luck. These days I guess you buy what you like and can afford, geez remember the piston slap issue???

If power is the issue, get the Intercooled Procharger, I know a guy with it on his HD, power power power......and you'll save $30,000 from a trade in!! The trade in price you'll get is deadly. Even if you went out and got 22's, then you'll save $25,000....and smoke the Caddy.

Old 11-21-2001, 07:53 PM
345 and 380 are impressive stock numbers but a few bolt on's and you're close with an Expy. Not there but close. A SC and you're beyond there!

With 260 and 350 stock, then chip, exhaust and filter, you're somewhere in the 300 HP range and into the 400+ lb range.

I will admit I'm envious of the power, although I wouldn't buy one. They just haven't grown on me yet.

Old 11-26-2001, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I am going to wait until 2003 and see what Ford produces?
If the THUNDER is not produced then I will keep my EXPY and invest on a supercharger, cams, values and if any money is left over port and polish.

Expyboy
Caddy or Expy with 22 inch rims I dont think I will be doing any off road.

dschur
You are right if I supercharge my EXPY them my hp/torq will be up there with the Caddy. But what happens if the Caddy is also SUPERCHARGE then I am in trouble back to square one.

Chaen
I think my EXPY EB is in the same category. I have heated leather seats, molded wood trim, HID etc
I am glad to see you agree that is nice and plush inside

s76drv
I am with you dropping that engine in our EXPY wow
Our Expy would be really fast.

Familyride
I have already done the chip, exhaust, filter, headers.But I still
want more power. Supercharger is my next step.
$53 g for the Caddy ? With that kind of money I could always buy a nice boat like yours.

Old 12-07-2001, 01:52 AM
I test drove an escalade right before i bought my navigator.
I did not like it. It turned better than most GMC/Chevy trucks but not as well as the navigator.

IMO, not just because i own one, i think the navigator is far better than the escalade. It was $2000 less and has 300hp. i know thats not 345 but still you dont want to race an AWD SUV.

I am not just saying this because i own one though.i had the choice between the 2 and i think i chose the best.

plus when i get my 22's this summer i am keeping my A/T tires and my stock wheels cause i still like to go to all the field parties down here and i dont think the 22's cut through mud very well.

It is a very, very, very luxurious vehicle yet is rugged enough to tackle tuff terrain and look good dirty.Well at least silver does anyway.

I seem to get a lot more respect now too.

Damon, you know what im talking about.

Being 19 it is tuff to get help anywhere.

I went to a car dealership the other day, dobbs ford, and was looking for a truck for my grandparents.

my grandad is getting a lariat supercrew and my grandma a southern comfort supercrew and they were very helpful in giving me details on it.

then me and damon go to landers ford and they came right out and started helping me cause they remembered me from the day before.

Then i go to a paint shop and they agree to paint my SUV in chromallusion for $800 if i supply the paint.

Then damon goes in his black lightning and wants to paint it yellow and they said they didnt have time and they wouldnt do it.

i laughed my @$$ off.

The escalade is a very nice looking ride and so is the navigator but it is your decision.

My mom thought her expedition handled better than any truck out there till i let her drive mine.

it is just what ever you like and what you feel comfortable in.

Now the Deanlis on the other hand i hate.
They look good on the front but not on the back or too great on the sides.

They are too long and the ones that are short are too short.

it is impssobile to PIMP in one of those.

Now i know you dont want to PIMP around in your ride, you want it for family comfort and i think you will make a good decision.

i almost got to use mine to ride my own family around in but luckily everything came back negative and i was highly relieved.
damon knows what i am talking about here too.lol

Quick Reply: Escalade vs Expy Thunder