Expedition / Navigator

Max Tire Size w/stock 17's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Tire Size w/stock 17's?

I have been following the various tire threads over the past few months, yet have never understood if a larger tire could be put on the stock 17" rims. I have a '98 EB without the LLS, with the 265-70/17 Goodyears. I notice that ProComp makes a 33", yet I am not sure they would work on the Expy.

Is anyone running the stock 17" wheels with larger tires? The availability of 17" tires is very limited, so I wanted to ask.

Thank you!

Bernie

Old 11-25-2001, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Bernie,

One way to get that answer is to call the good folks at the Tire Rack. Their number is 1-888-541-1771. They can tell you very quickly just exactly what you can do tire size-wise with your stock 17" wheels, and give you a great price on the tires.

We have used the Tire Rack for all our tire needs for many years now, and have never been disappointed. Their overall knowledge is very good, and their prices consistently among the lowest in the country. Their service is also excellent, in our experience.

Hope that helps,

Old 11-25-2001, 08:22 PM
beecubed,

I'm almost positive that a friend of mine put 33's on his stock height 2001 2 sheel drive Expy. I looked at them and it seemed like there may have been a slight rub on extreme turns in one direction or the other.

The 17" wheels are 7.5" wide so you wouldn't want to go too big for one reason, they'd just look funny.

Old 11-27-2001, 04:39 PM
I have the 33x12.50's on my 4x4 and they fit fine. There is no rub lock to lock or towing. Hope this helps.

Old 11-27-2001, 10:06 PM
Darn. I ordered the BFG 265/70-17's yesterday and I am having them installed in the morning. Haha. I should still be happy. Going for 33's next time.

Thank you all for your replies.

Bernie

Old 11-29-2001, 12:29 AM
BFG All-Terrains

Cool! I had the BFG All-Terrain TKO's on my previous truck ('96 Pathfinder). When it had the factory all-seasons the ride was quiet (compared to the BFG's) but the traction (especially wet-weather) was not good. With the BFG's the ride was noticably louder, but those tires stuck to the road like super-glue!

Seriously, no hydroplaning and in rain the truck felt stable even in 2WD. I was able to cut through snow without a problem (4WD, of course), and they prolly saved my @$$ at least a few times - Got caught in a nasty blizzard from 80 miles south of Buffalo all the way through the Niagra-Canadian border! Cars were pulled over (some slid off) the shoulder of I-90 and I was able to plow thru at about 35-40 MPH.

I was planning to put those same tires (BFG 265/70 R17's) on my ride, but I remember how much louder they were. When you get them put on, let me know how much louder the ride is. I remember the old ones had a constant waaaaahhhhhhh droning when you are rolling, and as good as they were I like my quiet ride. Maybe I'll change my tune after the first snow falls and I see how the Expy's stock Goodyear's handle (not expecting much!).

One last thing - how much were you able to find them? The cheapest I've seen for BFG All-Terrains in that size is something rediculous like $177 per without mounting and balancing at Sears!

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2001, 11:35 AM
The BFG are good tire especially in the snow.

If you want performance tires go with TOYOS

I have 285/60/17 Toyo Proxes S/T they are great in the rain and
my Expy now handles much better.

I looking to get 22 in the future and keep the stock wheels for the winter.

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2001, 11:49 AM
I was able to find them for $177/each at a local merchant. This was the best I could find, even on the internet.

I only have about 100 miles on them, but didn't notice any difference in the sound of the ride. I have a long journey happening this weekend, with lots of snow driving, and should be able to give a report back next week on the noise, performance, etc.

Only complaint I have is that they look too small on such a large vehicle...haha

Bernie

Old 11-29-2001, 03:20 PM
PICS?

Got any pics of the new wheels? I know what you mean by the tires looking too small, but I would've thought the BFG's would have a slightly larger contact patch, making it "seem" larger. <shrug>

Old 11-29-2001, 11:59 PM
Smile

I got the BFG KO 265/70-17 tires to replace my Wilderness ATs. I considered going wider but the KO footprint is already a full inch wider than the Firestones, the numbers don't tell the whole story.

As for quiet it took several days before I realized there was a very slight noise at 70mph, barely noticeable.

I drove down Pismo beach and blasted the underside with seaweeds and salt water, I was in 4 wheel drive but the tires deserve most the credit for not getting even close to stuck.

The only problem I've noticed is some premature wear on the fronts and a increased temptation to speed around turns !

Quick Reply: Max Tire Size w/stock 17's?