Expedition / Navigator

Exhaust header to head Leak 5.4l '97

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust header to head Leak 5.4l '97

Anyone else get a leak on passenger ex manifold?
I am concerend about head errosion on the AL. Got stock gasket and manifold ready and am waiting on studs before I go at it. Looks like the stock (all metal, 3 piece wafer may not conform it the AL head is burnt at all. Going to try it next week, got high temp locktite (2000 deg) "glue" or gray Si on hand. Any thoughts?? I get a fait amount of road sat rust on old m folds
Mark in Ohio

Old 12-08-2001, 03:09 PM
Are you talking about headers or stock manifolds? The subject says headers but you say manifold in the post; kind of confusing.

Old 12-08-2001, 09:33 PM
Sorry for any confusion. Stock 5.4l Manifolds. Road Salt rusted. Exhaust Tick slowly getting worse. Don't want to ruin head.
Mark

Old 12-08-2001, 11:04 PM
If that's the case, it's a good time/excuse to install headers. And since you've got a '97, hey, a set of '99+ PI heads are in order as well.

Old 12-09-2001, 02:01 AM
I already have a set of takeoff manifolds from a '00 Lightning.
They look different than my'97 ones, but look like they will fit.
I expect they are like expy 99+ , look like they will flow better. For right now (before winter sets in), I'll gunna try to bolt up one (passenger side), wonder if I'lll pick up a horse or 2 per side. Anhow, one side will hopefully fix the slight leak. Heads sound cooool , but this IS a family ride (winter beater/Tow vehicle) and on a family budget. Just trying to get ready for snowmobile season WHEN WINTER DOES arrive up here!!!
I read somewhere on the net of a guy who is having dealer REPLACE head for leak. Said it erroded the AL head a bit. Dealer was to reduce cost of repair,out of warrenty (98). I think he was up north too. I think rust (road salt) plays a part. My nuts and maniflod (passenger)_ is wooly with rust.
Mark in the rust belt

Old 12-09-2001, 11:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... wooly nuts and exhaust... my how this discussion *could* deteriorate!

I think you'll want to get that changed ASAP. The exhaust gasses will continue to eat away the head until you have to replace both manifold and head.

Headers, in and of themselves, are not obnoxious/loud. If the L manifolds don't fit, buy a set of aftermarket headers. Leave the muffler alone and you won't notice much, if any, change in sound.

Old 12-12-2001, 12:18 AM
UPDATE Just finished putting it back togrther. Broken Mainifold stud on rear passenger side Exh Manifold . Broke off below flush, but easy out (square kind) got it out. Some studs came out with nuts (hot,cold soak.... wait a day). Looks like road salt ate some of the head but not heat. sealing surface still good. Salt made the stud rust where it goes into the manifold. Used a little copper silicone on the head side of the back port. I also took a few minutes to rivet some rubber sheets onto innner fender to expose less to the "shower" of salt/slush that I drive thru. I would recommend this added protect for all rust belt guys as I dont want to do this every 5yrs. (if i had let the slight "tick" leak go,The head may have been junk ($$$$$$$). ( also I put a quick flap to protect horns/fog light) thanks for the help Mark in Ohio

Old 12-12-2001, 12:22 AM
All the talk of road salt damage makes me glad I live in Arizona! (But it's a dry heat!)

Quick Reply: Exhaust header to head Leak 5.4l '97