Expedition / Navigator

Navigator vs. Expy

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigator vs. Expy

I have a 98 Expy and want to trade up to a newer year. I used to use the Expy for some offroading, but since i moved to DC, there is no more of that. I was thinking instead of a newer Expy, maybe trying a newer Gator. I know they are both built on the same frame....but how much is really different? The interiors look pretty much the same, maybe a little more luxury in the Gator, and the Gator has more HP. Any opinions? I want to stick with this size of vehicle....i cant imagine having anything smaller.....need some help!

Old 01-17-2002, 10:59 AM
I have a 99 Expy with heated seats, real molded wood trim
Euro Altezza lights, Go Rhino chrome grill and dual rear exit exhuast. I think my Expy is just as luxo as a Navi.

The only difference is the 32v on Navi.
I am sure you can the same HP with some aftermarket pruducts
K&N, CHIP, HEADERS, PULLEYS, EXHUAST,TRANGO KIT,ELECTRIC FAN ETC.

It will come down to your own personal choice.

Old 01-18-2002, 12:56 AM
If you ever drive one you will go with the GATOR.

I was going to get an expy before i got my GATOR.

My dad said "since you think you are so much better than us why dont you get a navigator"

i had never though of it really.

well i went and test drove one and bought it that day.

i had a 98 f150 and used loved it.

my mom has a 99 EB expy and i loved driving it because i thought nothing could handle as good.

well i was wrong.

i am not making fun of the expys in any way, they are very nice, like i said my mom has one but the navigator handles a lot better.

i drove her expy the other day to pick my wheels up and it was actually hard to drive it.

i can drive down the interstate at 80-90 with one finger. it turns so lightly.

my mom did not believe me when i told her how well it handled.

so i had to let her drive it.
she then wanted one.

however now she is leaning toward a new escalade, which is nice also.

maybe it is just my opinion that it drives so well but do me a favor and go drive one. i can almost bet youll love it.

after i get my 20's on next week i am going to go up to the GMC Hummer dealer near my house and see about trading it in on a 98 yellow hummer.

i seriouslu doubt i will though. i want to keep my note within $50 and if they wont give me enough on a trade in or if i cant sell it for enough then i wont.

they have a yellow 98 on their lot for $48,000 with 52,000 miles.

it has the black open top.

sorry, back to your topic.

i would highly recomend you driving your expy to the lincoln dealer and then test driving the gator. you might just leave the expy there.

Old 01-18-2002, 09:05 AM
I've never driven a Navi before but I'm confused about something here: If you have an Expy w/ the 5.4 and 4-corner LLS, 17" wheels (let's say it's a fully-equipped Sport or EB), wouldn't it be the exact same as a Navi with the exception of the 32v DOHC? I would think it should handle the same.

I have everything in my 2k Expedition Sport with the exception of Leather and a Sunroof (both of which have no bearing on the way a truck should drive). I also have done road-trips with some 80-90 MPH streatches and I can drive it "with one finger" as well - very stable.

If it's the same truck in terms of suspension, tranny, wheel size and the only differences are 32v, creature comforts and body paneling, I don't know that they would be all that different to drive.

Like I said, I've never driven a Navigator and I'm not saying that anyone is wrong, but based on some assumptions I don't think there is much differenece between the two (given 2 similarly equiped trucks).

Now driving a 4-year old expy vs. a new Navi, now THAT's a different story alltogether!

You'll definitely see a difference there....

Old 01-18-2002, 09:51 AM
i know what you are saying. it is very confusing.

you have to drive one to know what i am talking about.

i dont know what they have done differently.

my mom said the exact same thing about her expy.

the expy is one of the best handeling vehicels out there and yeah you can handle it with one finger.

i dont know what they have done to the navigators that makes it drive like it does.

i do promise you though, go drive one and youll see what i mean.

does anyone know the difference in the expy and the navi and why it would handle better?

Old 01-18-2002, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Navigator vs. Expy

Originally posted by thais0n
I have a 98 Expy and want to trade up to a newer year. I used to use the Expy for some offroading, but since i moved to DC, there is no more of that. I was thinking instead of a newer Expy, maybe trying a newer Gator. I know they are both built on the same frame....but how much is really different? The interiors look pretty much the same, maybe a little more luxury in the Gator, and the Gator has more HP. Any opinions? I want to stick with this size of vehicle....i cant imagine having anything smaller.....need some help!
I'm sure those Navigators are nice, but if you got one you'd have to live with those funny lookin' tail lights! Personally, I'd go for the Expy. IMHO they are better looking and a better value for your money...

Old 01-18-2002, 07:50 PM
Lot's of opinions here and good advice.

The Navigator is different than the Expy and I'm sure it does ride different. Also consider, it weighs about 500# more. Not a big deal. The 32v is 300HP and about the same torque, but the base engine is the sam that comes in an Expy.

I agree with steven in that you should drive both. You're going to pay more for the Nav so make sure you're getting the what of value to you.

Old 01-19-2002, 12:53 AM
You're thinking of getting a Hummer? Have you ever driven one? That tank is a dog on paved roads and it's too damned wide to drive on narrow ones. To get that thing up to cruising speed, you gotta start flooring it in the previous county. It's noisy and the interior is cheap cheap cheap and the ride is rough rough rough and it's slow slow slow.

To top it all off, you have that "wonderful" Chevy diesel that even they aren't selling anymore.

Hey, it's a damned tough truck and is nearly unstoppable (so long as it fits). For everyday driving? I don't think so.

Last edited by Dennis; 01-19-2002 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:59 AM
no i am just saying i would really like to have one.
they would probably only offer me $20,000 or less on a trade in and i couldnt get that much more trying to sell it.

i would just like to have one.
im not at all worried about going fast..

i think it is just something you have when your young, you want the biggest.

again it doesnt matter, im not getting one.

Old 01-19-2002, 08:32 AM
Talking One thing to ponder...

Last week I was pulling up to a stop light with a Gator in front of me with a couple of hi school "kiddies", thinking I guess that they had the SH@!. They kept looking back smilin, I knew what they were up to.

We were both turnin left into a 2 lane hiway. Make a long story short, they went by giving me the finger, I guess they couldn't brag about it to get some from their stanky's later that evening. HEHE!

Kids these days, what are they thinkin??

Back to topic, If you spend what you save getting a XP than the Gator on the goodies, you'll have even more of a "unique" vehicle than your next door neighbor if he also has a Gator in his drive.

Lord knows, You'll have more fun!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2002, 12:09 PM
or you can get a navigator and just put money into it and have a better vehicle than the guy with an expy.

im not trying to brag here or anything.
i love the looks of the Gator.
i have a huge list of mods i am working on right now.

i just got back from the wheel shop. they are putting my 20's on should be done by noon.
then im getting the 4 altezza rear lights.
you can look in my sig and see what all is next.

however it is all a matter of personal opinion.

if you want to get a tahoe or a fiat or whatever. you are the one buying it. it should be your chouce and if you like it that is all that matters.

my aunt loves POS T cruisers.
i personally hate them.
i think they are the stupidest looking cars i have ever seen.
but i would love to see her get one because she loves them and has been wanting one since they came out.

good luck with the choice.

Old 01-19-2002, 10:24 PM
thaisOn,

I just went through the decision process myself and ended up with a 02 Eddie Bauer 5.4 with all options except 4X4. After test driving both I personally could not justify the $8K difference to go to the Navigator (also 4X2). Cost was a factor but not the biggest issue, as I qualify for the Ford X-plan which helps immensely. Plus when I bought mine earlier this month 0.0% financing plus $1000.00 was a great incentive!

The biggest reason I wanted the Navigator was the 5.4 32V motor. The 40 hp difference was worth looking at anyway. I tow a 6000# trailer and I appreciate having more power.

That being said I also need a daily driver and average 20,000 miles a year in Atlanta traffic. The twenty cent difference between regular and premium gas can add up. I talked to several Navigator owners who reported 12-13 MPG, I am getting 15-16 on my Expy with only 800 miles on it. The insurance difference was also noticable at about $400 annually. If you do research on depreciation costs you will find the Navigator also take a larger hit in this area as well (like most "luxury" vehicles).

Ford and Lincoln Mercury have really let their products get too close to each other to clearly say one is significantly better. Drive both before you decide....both are excellent vehicles and neither is a bad choice, IMHO.

Hope this helps,

Old 01-19-2002, 11:12 PM
Big Sky 1

Not that it makes any difference now, but I think the Navigator has a lower tow rating due in part to it's heavier weight. I'm not sold on the 32v being all that yet either, again the weight thing. With the few things I've done to my Expy, I think I'm probably right at or just above 300HP and since torque between the 2 isn't much different (5 LB more in the Nav) with me at about or over 400# I'm looking for a Navigator for lunch!

I have 32v Nav's all over the place around here and last week came about as close as I ever have to finding out how I'd do. A guy took off next to me pretty strong so I did too. I had to get over so I gave it a little more just to get up ahead and let him see me lunge ahead when I shifted. He stepped on it too but as I passed him and shifted, (my tail end was near him so maybe he heard the exhaust that doesn't sound completely stock) I pulled away easily and he backed off. Neither of us were anywhere near WOT but still into a pretty strong throttle. He looked like a guy that would have run but I have to wonder if he was not so confident. I'll never know.....

By the way, I tow the boat in my sig (over 7000#) and the Expy is great; you'll love it!!!

Old 01-20-2002, 01:15 PM
Talking

FamilyRide,

The bug to mod has already bit me.. I told my wife with all the money I saved by going with the Expy I am going to get the power up to 300+ hp! With the difference in price I could easily supercharge the Expy.

I started with the 5 spoke split aluminum wheels from Ford to replace my stock chrome wheels. No performance gain but the wheels look a lot better IMHO..

Next is the Gibson exhaust like yours. When you installed the Gibson did you get any noticable increase in power or gas mileage?

Thanks,

Old 01-20-2002, 01:31 PM
Wayne,

I did the exhaust after the chip and Airaid and I'd have to say that yes, I noticed a difference but not a hug one. I think the "grunt" is better and it sure sounds good. It took a few months before the sound really "matured". When I first started it up, in the garage, I couldn't tell a differece. Once I pulled out and listened I could definetly tell a differnce in tone. Much more like and old big block. After time, it's gotten louder but to a point that it's really nice and no where near close to being annoying.

I'd have to say, if you're looking for big gains form exhaust, you won't get it. I've since started towing a pretty big and heavy boat and I can say this, it rocks! I cna't imagine it being this nice stock. Pulls hard and has not problem. It certainly puts it to work, but no problems.

Quick Reply: Navigator vs. Expy