Expedition / Navigator

Stillens/Hotchkis/Bilstien Stuff Installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillens/Hotchkis/Bilstien Stuff Installed!!

Hey Guys,

Just had all the Stillens Cross Drilled Rotors and pads, Hotchkis Front and Rear Swaybars, and Bilstein rear shocks installed. I did the reconmended brake break-in procedure, i can't make any major stops for 300 miles, then i will find out how good these things are. The truck rides a bit stiffer with the shocks and bars, i does not wallow anymore on bumps or turns. I really could not put the bars to the test because all the good twisty roads are snow or ice covered. but i did take it on the interstate and the ramps are fun now. I will let evryone know how things are after the weekend. the installation was a brezze, no problems other than my front rotor being rusted to the knuckle, a few hits of a hammer took care of that.

here are some pictures:

here is the photo album if you want to see more pictures:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...ew.cfm?num=967

Old 01-31-2002, 11:23 PM
ScottyBones,

Looking good! I wanted to ask you a question about your sound system. Did you make that sub box yourself? Do you by any chance have the exact dimensions and any other info on the box? That is the exact setup I want. I am planning to get 3 12" JL W6 subs. Do you think a Fosgate 1000.2 amp would be good enough to push these? Also, what series MB Quart model speakers do you have? Thanks for the help.

Robert

Old 02-01-2002, 12:15 AM
talkin about systems.
i went by a carwash about 2 days ago and i saw a white excursion sittin on some 22's.
i thought it was the same one from the movie "Choices" so i pulled up in and started washing my wheels.
the 2 guys came up and to look at my truck.

i turned around and it was micheal ****erson.
he went and got back in his xcursion and turned on his system.

it started to rattle my glass coming through the concrete wall. i went over and asked him what he had in it.

he goes to the back, opens on the gate and has 6 clarion 12" subs with 4 fosgate Chrome amps that look just like yours.
i dont think i would ever want that much "bump"

i would like a tri sub inclosure that would enable me to leave the 3rd seat in. i am always the one that has to haul around my friends so i need the 3rd seat.

Old 02-01-2002, 12:37 AM
Scottybones -

Hey, that looks great. I have a few questions on the Hotchkis.

1) Where did you get them?
2) How much did you pay?
3) I was looking at Hotchkis or Hellwig. Hellwig does not have one for the front for a 99 EB 4x4 w/ LLS. Is the Hotchkis front bar design specifically for the a 4x4 w/LLS?
4) How hard is the installation of both the sway bars for a weekend mechanic? I have a pit in my garage, so that will make it easier.

Talk to you soon.

Tom

Old 02-01-2002, 01:09 AM
ProStart:
I got the bars from a guy in Arizona named Nick Ianuzzi, his email is kolak@aol.com, he does not have a storefront or website but he sells parts on JeepsUnlmited.com he sets up group buys and stuff for the 10,000+ members on JeepsUnlimited. he gets unbeliveable pricing on stillen and Hotchkis, because he has the tendency to sell them out when he does a group buy on parts. Let him know that i sent you because he really only deals with Jeep stuff but since i have spent over $20k with him on Jeep parts he get me whatever i want. I do not know what the final price was on the bars but it was under $500 and much cheaper than any prices i have seen on the web. I do not know if they are made for the LLS specifically but there is nowhere that tells me they are not. What people need to realize is that the front of a 4w LLS expy is the EXACT same as any other expy, Navigator, or F150. The ONLY difference is the shocks, they are air adjustable, but that does not mean they are hieght adjustable, just stiffness. the install is easy, take the drivers side tire off, then take the stock bar off, wiggle it out of the side then put the new bar in, put all the new hardware on and your done. the rear is easier since you do not have to take a wheel off.

drc: JL no longer makes a W6 and the W3 replaced it and it has the newer JL technology and it is cheaper. the replacement for the W3 is the W7, go to your local JL dealer and look at one of those. all i can say is wow. I personally did not build the box, i worked at a car audio shop for last year and we built it there as a demo truck. it is a real easy design, i will get you some pictures tomarrow with how the box is setup. My front MBQuarts are PSC216's i think, they are the new preminum line Quarts, one step below the Q-Series. A 1000.2 will be fine. i run a 800.2 and i love it. I can hit high 140 db's with it.

I will get some more pictures of my sound system tomarrow for everybody.

Thanks for all the comments, now if it would ever get over 30 degress out here i could have some fun.

Old 02-01-2002, 09:00 AM
Any Product WEBSITE info to do comparo between packaged systems (RCD, PRO COMP) and the set-up you decided on... It looks great ....... I am planning on one of the above as that's all I could find out there until your post

Old 02-01-2002, 12:08 PM
Expyboy,

Can you clearify what you mean by packaged systems? i do not know how to answer your question.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2002, 12:43 PM
So give us more info on the braking. How much of an improvement?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2002, 01:12 PM
"I did the reconmended brake break-in procedure, i can't make any major stops for 300 miles, then i will find out how good these things are. "

I will let everyone know after the 300 miles. i will get that done by the end of the weekend

Old 02-01-2002, 02:52 PM
RCD has a suspension upgrade package (springs, struts, end links etc) Explorer Pro-comp has one as well.....

Old 02-01-2002, 06:39 PM
ExpyBoy:
This is not a suspension kit. i did not lift it or lower it. all this is is new swaybars and new shocks. it is far from a suspension kit. there is not suspension kit on the market that includes swaybars. hopefully this clears things up.

About the brakes:
Stillen claims that they will stop a expy in 13 less feet from 70 think. so that means that the truck will stop in 165 feet instead of 178 feet. now all i am doing is replaceing the rotors and pads. i will not feel any better braking on my expedition until 2 senerio's
1. i stop from 60+mph
2. i am stopping a whole lot from speed like annoying rush hour traffic or i am racing the truck.
all the stillens or any drilled/slotted rotor will do is keep temperatures down which will inturn decrease brake fade and braking heat. there is no pad or rotor out there that will make any major difference in braking. if you want better braking you have to redo your braking system, which means upgrading the calipers/master cylinder/prop valve. now if you do this you will get a better feel with the brakes. also changing your break fluid, using a high quality break fluid, or upgrading to steel brake line will allow you to feel a difference because you are increasing the stability of the brake system. brake fluid is a major factor and it should be changed annually to get the best brake performance. well all know that the pressure from the pedel then pushes a rod in the master cyclinder which then pushes te fluid to the calipers and then the fluid pushes the caliper and the rotor is then squeezed. since brake fluid is a fluid that is effected by water the fluid will absorb water which will then allow more compresson of the fluid and then that will allow poor brake performance. i will be changing my brake fluid this weekend and i will feel a major difference in stopping power because i will not have to push the pedel down so far.

the only reasons why you would run a stillens brake system is to get better performance brakeing, the Stillens are also much cheaper than the OE ones so you are saving there. i will let everyone know how it works out.

Old 02-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Well i guess i will give a update on the stuff i installed a few weeks back.

The swaybars are great. they cured all my clunking noises so it must of been worn out bushings. the reduction in body roll is awesome, this truck can handle almost any corner/turn/etc at about double the speed it used to be able to. The brakes are nice, they do squeak a bit but it is ok, they seem to stop better but i have no hard evidence of that. The shocks feel good they stiffened up the ride a bit and i think they really helped control the body roll along with the swaybars. if i had the chance to do it again, i would get all the same stuff, i am very happy with the gains i got out of the upgrades.

Quick Reply: Stillens/Hotchkis/Bilstien Stuff Installed!!