Expedition / Navigator

Black out or white letters out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got them put on today. Whites out. On my Expy it just looks better.

The "S" rated Cross Terrain's are OWL but the "H" rated are black only. They do have several OEM sizes in the "S" rated that only come in black also. Check out the Michelin web site. By the way, the "S" rated are cheaper but are speed rated less than the "H" rated (113 vs 130 I think it is). The "H" rated are also heat rated "A" where the "S" rated are "B". Tread wear is worse with the "H" rated as well. More of a high performance tire so to speak so I'm sure it's a softer compound.

So far I like them. Of course new tires of any kind make a big difference. It did seem to lose the "drift" that the TSB addresses with the Generals. Steering is more responsive too. They are just more solid feeling. I can't wait to see how they are on wet roads. The Generals would get up on plane quicker than my boat!! Not a good feeling.

hdlouie,
Now I've looked so I edited this post.

Man, I'm kind of torn. I like the white out look, but then again, with the smooth exterior; badges removed, Nav tail lights, the black look good too. Of course the pictures can be deceiving, but I think the black out make the tires look bigger. But both look good. (I'm thinking as I type ) I think that if you're going for an off-road rugged look, black out definitly. For a clean street look white out.

By the way, that's probably the best looking spruce green I've seen!! Looks sharp.

Last edited by FamilyRide; 02-11-2002 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:59 PM
Talking

Thanks FamilyRide, I'm starting to get used to the black out now but when I see a picture of the letters out I think that looked good too. But I think you said it best; "if you're going for an off-road rugged look, black out definitly. For a clean street look white out". I did noticed when I went off roading last week that I had some good scuff marks on the side walls, right were the letters would be.

Well thanks all for your friendly opinions, I think I'll stay black out.
Now I'll have to remember how to change my sig pic.

Old 02-12-2002, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White Letter Out

HDLOUIE-

On my CrossTerrains, I have the white letters out on my 4x4 Expy. They look great and I am very happy with the tires!

Old 02-12-2002, 11:08 AM
jmartinb, do you have any photo's of your X?

Old 02-12-2002, 04:20 PM
If the tire has white outline letters, then I vote for white out. When you turn them around with the whites in, they look kinda dumb to me when you see the white letters inside especially when the vehicle is turning. Somewhat distracting. Looks out of place when done that way.

If you're gonna do the black wall look, then PUHLEEZE, blacken the whites so you can't see them underneath the vehicle.

Old 02-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Got it.

Old 02-12-2002, 06:46 PM
Hey Jeff, I got the Cross Terrains put on yesterday. How are they in the snow and fozen stuff? Not that it's much of a concern for me....

Old 02-13-2002, 09:47 AM
I would have to say that black outside looks very nice when they are on a black vehicle. If the vehicle is light colored then the white will be better. Thats my opinion.

Old 02-15-2002, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Pics and CrossTerrains

hdlouie-
No pics on my Expy as of yet. I'll have her washed this weekend and take shome shots of it before my wife takes it (cringe ) to the mountains next week with her girlfriends (cringe). Thanks for asking.

Hey Ride-
So far, it's been a pretty easy winter here in the Mid-Altantic. I love the CrossTerrains in the rain, and have had excellent success in both AWD and 4WH driving modes. Believe me, I am just waiting for a foot of fresh snow...gotta make sure the docs and nurses get to the hospitals!

Old 02-16-2002, 09:31 AM
Check out my sig for what it looks like but I went back and forth when I got the gator wheels and finally almost flipped a coin. Wife wanted black out, I kind of thought I wanted the white showing. In the end I thought hell I don't want to have to clean them and keep them looking good. I do agree with family ride I think with our color it might have been nicer the leave the white letters showing.....

Old 02-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Black out.

Old 02-20-2002, 05:31 PM
It's all just personal preference and what you are used to seeing. I've got the white out on my 285/75/16 Bridgestone Duelers. Then again mine is a white 4x4 and not as sporty as some of those with lower profile tires. I do agree that white out is asking for trouble when one has a wife.

Old 02-20-2002, 05:40 PM
Hey jimmsimm, Are you in the gallery?

Old 02-20-2002, 05:41 PM
You know what I think it boils down to having had both is how much "black" profile there is. If you have very little "black tire" from the rim to the edge of the tire then you go with black out. If on the other hand you only have 16 inch rims of one of these expy's your better go with white out so you can break up some of that big black tire looking at ya. With 17's it is a toss-up. But if I had 18's or 20's that would be a no brainer, black out!!

Old 02-20-2002, 05:49 PM
hdlouie, no I don't have a picture in the gallery. I wish I had a digital camera so I could email you a pic, but I don't have one...yet. The truck does look great though. I get compliments very frequently.

Quick Reply: Black out or white letters out?