Expedition / Navigator

Which shock upgrade ? Edelbrock IAS or Bilstien or Rancho 9000??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which shock upgrade ? Edelbrock IAS or Bilstien or Rancho 9000??

Those are the three I have narrowed it down to.
Would like to hear from those who have upgraded to either.
I have a 2001 EB 4x2 with LLS, and I understand the IAS do not come "specifically" for my configuration....all though many have
installed none the less.
Bilstien on the other hand makes one specifically for LLS.
And the Rancho, Im not familiar with, especially the substance that is used inside the shock(not a gas pressurized shock).
Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 02-12-2002, 11:15 AM
I would go with the Bilstien's since they make them specifically for your truck. I run the Ranchos and love them, but I run offroad and tow. The Edelbrocks are suposed to be pretty good if you don't take them serious offroading. I would just be leary of installing a shock that isn't designed for your vehical. I think there is more to a shock than being the right length to mount up.

Old 02-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Shocks

I've had the Edelbrocks for about 1 year now. Great so far, all my use is hwy. Installation was cake.

Rich

Old 02-12-2002, 06:52 PM
I've got Edelbrocks but if I were to do it again, I'd get Bilstien just for the comfort that they do have them designed specificly for the rear LLS.

Old 02-12-2002, 11:21 PM
I have the IAS shocks on the 4X2 with the rear LLS. I specifically called Edelbrock and was put on hold while they confirmed that the shock was actually designed and tested on an Expy with LLS. They also confirmed the part numbers as well.

I like mine. They really control rebound much better than stock. They are not rough at all. I did however have a rear shock explode..the seal blew and made a helluva mess. Edelbrock shipped one from CA to my front door in FL by noon the next day. Not bad customer service. Hope this helps.

Old 02-13-2002, 07:35 PM
ExpyGator

You actually got them to say they are designed for LLS? Wow. I still have emails from them where they claim to have talked to the person in charge of Shock development and said no. However if I worded it differently they said yes. Go figure......

Old 02-14-2002, 12:29 AM
What is LSS? Is this the same as load leveling system? WHat does it do, and how do you know if you have it?

Old 02-14-2002, 07:12 AM
I guess I'm staying away from the Edelbrocks as they seem to have premature failure way to often. May try the Bilsteins...maybe the Rancho RS 9000 since you can adjust from car like ride to offroad, not that Im going offroad. But I can see wanting a softer front and perhaps a stiffer rear when hauling a travel trailer.

As far as LLS...Load Leveling Supsension is what that mean.
Easiest way to see if you have is to check on the passenger side in the far right corner of the fire wall...there should be a box with a on/off switch. this controls the LLS(at least this is where it is on my Espy 2001 4x2 EB).
Other way is too look under the rear end by your rear shock...should be a black "bladder" type device on your between your rear end and truck frame.

Old 02-15-2002, 11:53 AM
I just installed the Bilsteins on my 4wd LLS 2000 expy and i love them. they are much better than the stock ones. I got them from www.truckperformance.com for $53 each. The do ride rougher than the stock ones and maybe even harded then the IAS's. I installed Hotchkis swaybars at the same time so i cannot tell where the extra stiffness is from. But it is a great improvement over stock and they are cheaper than the edelbrocks. Not to mention the edelbrocks are some of the worst shocks ever. i have had 2 sets one on my stock 98 grand cherokee and then their lifted version on the same truck. I hated them so much. i put RS9000's on and i was very happy. I have heard so many stories about the shock leaking or wearing premeturly. I am a Moderator over on a Jeep BBS and if you want to hear horror stories about the edelbrocks i will give you the web address.

Old 02-20-2002, 09:22 AM
still undecided

Not sure if the Bilstein are going to make a 4x2 fill to stiff.
Not enough feed back on the Rancho being used on the 4x2 Espy.

Old 02-20-2002, 05:42 PM
ScottyBones, when did you purchase your shocks? I followed your link and they want $65 ea for the Bilsteins.

Old 02-20-2002, 08:21 PM
cost for bilsteins

I found a place in Calif.(internet orders too) for 61.95 on Bilstein HD...email me if interested.
Im not sure what policy is for posting other sites URL that may compete with this sites online store.

Old 02-20-2002, 09:22 PM
Looks like they are no longer on sale, sorry guys

Old 02-23-2002, 12:56 AM
ok...went for the Bilsteins

should be in Monday 2/25/02.
Rancho 9k's dont handle the back LLS.
Edlebrocks...too many negative coments, even the parts store guy said they come back with problems.

Another was really pushing a new on from Monroe made "especially" for SUV's. I didnt feel like being the geniue pig on that one.

got the Bilsteins for $60/each.
I will report back. If I dont like em, they will take them back.

Old 03-01-2002, 11:55 PM
bilsteins installed on 01 espy

.........and what a difference they make.
The real test was a section of highway that has whoop de do's
and really gets that back end feeling like a boat.
Not with the Bilsteins on !
Cornering is much improved considering I have factory rubber on(General).
With alot of negative comments on the Eddlebrocks, I am very happy with the Bilsteins.

Quick Reply: Which shock upgrade ? Edelbrock IAS or Bilstien or Rancho 9000??