Expedition / Navigator

Changin' out plugs on '99 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Changin' out plugs on '99 XLT

I really could use some advice from anyone who has changed out plugs on their truck that has the "direct over cylinder" plug caps. I tried to change out my plugs over the weekend and had some real difficulty. The fuel injector rails are situated right atop the plug caps, so I figured that by relieving the fuel system pressure and pulling the rails, I'd have enough room to change out the plugs... no such luck. The front 2 plugs (4 total) on either side of the block are easily accessible when the injector rail is removed, but the back 2 sets (especially passenger side) are WAY back. I removed the plastic throttle body cover, but still had many hoses/cables to deal with and not enough room to get my 3/8" SPK way down deep into the cylinder to remove the plugs.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Old 02-19-2002, 05:37 PM
SPExpedition, has done plugs on his 98, he posted under "New to the board". Check his response to some questions.

Old 02-20-2002, 12:07 AM
Exclamation

mark,

Yeah, changing those plugs is no easy feat. I used a 3/8 bent handle, swivel-head ratchet along with 3 extensions to get the job done. I removed the intake hose up to the throttle body entirely, unplugged any hoses that were in my way, unhooked the battery, unhooked the electrical connections from the wiring block on the passenger side firewall to provide more room, and jostled any cooling hoses or wiring to gain access. I had to remove the fuel injection rail (2 bolts secure it to the intake) by simply lifting it off the injectors (carefully). I could then move it enough back to access the 3rd plug. I also found it easier to unhook the electrics to any injectors to gain better access. For the passenger side, it was a big pain, but at least the fuel pressure regulator is not in the way (on the injector rail).

It helps if you have a friend to hold a light while you fish for your plugs

Quick Reply: Changin' out plugs on '99 XLT