Expedition / Navigator

suspension clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question suspension clunk?

Well, the search feature seems to be down (temporarily?) and I have a question. While driving over expansion joints or other more abrupt bumps, my Expy seems to have a more pronounced 'clunk' in the rear of the vehicle. Is there something that I should look at or is this just normal for a vehicle with 50 million cubic meters of room inside??? My 98 Expy EB 4x4 has 100K kms and the LLS if that matters.

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2002, 07:42 AM
My wife's 99' Eddie Bauer Expy also had a pronounced "clunk" while going over speed bumps, etc... It was also coming from the rear of the vehicle. As weird as this may sound I got under the back of it and placed my feet under the frame and became a human speed bump by pushing up and down as hard as I could and the noise returned. The noise was coming from the bottom shock bolts where the shock mounts to the lower brackets.

Our Expy has about 50K on it and apparrently the rubber between the shock itself and the bolts had become weak. I tightened the bolts and no more clunk.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2002, 09:20 AM
Also check you front sway bar linkage. I had a similar sound and it was the left from linkage.

Old 02-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Smile

I checked the rear of the truck and both shocks were quite loose on the bottom end - tightening them fixed the problem - thanks!

Old 02-20-2002, 06:11 PM
I also found that my swaybar was loose on the passenger side where the vertical link attaches to the frame. I found this when I was installing my Hellwig.

Old 02-21-2002, 05:30 PM
HI! we have a '98 expy EB 4x4 LLS all around. would tightening the bolts work for the front suspension as well? i suspect that tryin to get under the car and trying to bounce the front would be quite difficult. we had the same problem with our rear ones but the dealership replaced them under warranty in June 2001. we had 30K on the car at that time. we now have 36K. would this solution help with the front too? or does anyone have any recommendations since as far as i have researched Bilstein does not make any for the front. Thanks!

Last edited by wannanicecar; 02-21-2002 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply: suspension clunk?