Expedition / Navigator

Hitch will void warrenty? Huh?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitch will void warrenty? Huh?

I just got the paperwork for my aftermarket warrenty on my
98 Expy, I won't mention the company. Anyway, the paperwork states that "No mods can be made to this vehicle which would alter it from it's original Factory/Stock configuration"!
It goes on to list "Hi-Tech Computer Chips" and "Towing Assemblies" as two of the mods not allowed!! Arrrgggg!!!!!
The two things I wanted to do asap!
I can understand the chip, but I was told if I disconnect the battery for half an hour it would wipe out the system memory and the chip wouldn't show up on a computer check of the engine??
Hopefully I can hide that one...
Also, I have to put a hitch on it to pull my utility trailer, but this makes it sound like I can't have a hitch at all??? Or do they mean it would have to be a OEM Ford hitch installed ala' factory specs??
I can do that but what the heck would that matter? I think they might mean other things like electric brakes and add-on cooling coils, but I guess I'll have to call them on Monday to find out for sure. The part that gets me is I told the salesperson I was going to tow with the Expy, and they still sold me the warrenty!!!

What do you all think???

Tim

Old 02-24-2002, 07:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
somebody is sleazing you. There is actually a law in the US that prevents this. The law basically states that you can do any mod in the world that you want to do, however, if that mod causes a problem with the truck, Ford is not required to honor the warranty as it relates to that specific problem. The mod manufactureris required to pay for the repair (if its their fault).

Basically, can you blame a chip for door cracks? or dual exhaust on a bad stater? Go ahead and mod, just make sure you do it within the specs of the mod manufacturer (so they can pay if something goes wrong)

Old 02-25-2002, 01:46 AM
I pretty much got the same thing when I bought my 02 X.
The dealer said though that they are really trying to crack down because of all the performance aftermarket stuff, and that some Ford dealerships and Ford for that matter are a little gunshy after all of the Xplorer/Firestone mess.

I specifically asked about hitches.
He said no problem, so long as it is not WELDED to the FRAME.
99.9% of them are boltons, so have at it.
Greg

Old 02-26-2002, 07:54 PM
Silas, You should go to the Lightning forum if you want to learn about chips and warranty voids. They've had their share of warranty voids. The Moss Magnuson Act is supposed to put the burden of proof on the dealer but many owners won't go to court in order to make it happen. The statement from the company you had work from is a blanket statement to cover their a$$es. I think common sense will prevail in most cases.
I recommend talking to your dealer prior to modifying your vehicle.

Old 02-26-2002, 08:26 PM
Response to my hitch question...

Thanks to all who answered my hitch/chip questions! I am going to install a OEM Ford hitch, they can't bitch about that (!), and I'll wait and see about the chip.

Tim
(Silas)

Old 02-27-2002, 06:02 PM
Silas, you mention wanting to tow a utility trailer. I typically think of smaller garden type trailers when I hear this term. Why can't you just use the bumper hitch? They are rated at something like 3500 lb gross trailer weight with 350 lb tongue weight.

Regardless of whether a hitch is bolted or welded, there should be no reason for warranty denial. I had a Bronco a number of years ago with a custom welded-on hitch installed immediately after purchase. Never once did anybody at the service departments I used say anything about that hitch.

Old 02-27-2002, 07:20 PM
Hitch, cont....

jimmsimm,

I thought about the bumper hitch, but it is too high for my utility trailer, I have one of the little ones with tiny wheels. Although I haven't hooked it up to the Expy yet just judging from the height of the ball the trailer will be tilted way back and dump everything out! Also, I thought if I ever did want to tow something bigger I would like to have the class III hitch installed anyway. If needed I could use a lower receiver that slides in to make up the height difference.

I guess it depends on the dealer as to how much crap you get from them in regards to warrenty work. Of course this is an aftermarket warrenty, not a Ford warrenty. I think some go-getters could make it hard on a person if they wanted to.

Thanks!
Tim
silas

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2002, 12:01 AM
FYI:
U-Haul has a really nice round tube reciever hitch that is very much out of sight, where as the OEM hitch is the square kind that goes across almost the whole rearend of the X.

Old 02-28-2002, 10:53 AM
It sounds like you're looking at an aftermarket warranty plan. Aftermarket warranty companies can exclude anything they want from warranty coverage as well as impose restrictions. Before you plunk down a bunch of money for an extended warranty, check with your dealer service advisor about dealing with that particular warranty company. Dealers can and do refuse to deal with certain warranty companies because of problems getting the warranty company to pay and hassling over what services can be provided.
You should consider the Ford extented warranty plan for peace of mind. I have the web address at my office of a Ford dealer who used to sell Ford warranty at discounts. I'll post it when I get to the office.

Old 02-28-2002, 08:08 PM
after-market warrenties

KSinLA,

I purchased an aftermarket warrenty at the same time I purchased the vehicle. I don't remember anything in the warrenty papers that said anything about the aftermarket add-ons that they listed when they mailed the warrenty card to me guess I should have read the contract closer... I was told the warrenty I bought was a good one, time will tell with that. I wasn't really offered the Ford warrenty, I was told this other one was as good, if not better, than the Ford one.

Tim

Old 02-28-2002, 08:18 PM
Old 03-06-2002, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want a good hitch, buy a Reese. They are what Ford uses from the factory. 8 bolts into existing holes in the frame (so the Reese hitches can be installed on the assembly line)

With help from a friend (to hold the right side while I attached the left) we put it on in literally 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: Hitch will void warrenty? Huh?