Expedition / Navigator

Overhead Console in an X

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhead Console in an X

Ok, while the search function is disabled....
I would like to know who has removed their overhead console in their x?
I want to remove mine, do some modifications (add in a 12v socket power tap in it and recess the mount for a radar detector.
Bottom line is that I need to know where the screw are and how to get to them so I can remove it.
I can see the one in the middle and its a no brainer.
I imagine that there is one inside the light housing behind the lense.
There has got to be one somewhere in the front behind the computer mileage/compass panel.
How do I get that out to get to the screws?
Thanks for the help.
Greg

Old 02-25-2002, 10:59 PM
There is screw under the garage door holder or sunglass holder, when you take the screw out you will feel it kinda sag, pull down and slide back kinda thing. You will feel like you are breaking it.........

Old 02-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Eric:
You mean that there is only one screw holding that thing in place?
Greg

Old 02-25-2002, 11:20 PM
I'm 98% sure, I just took one down not to long ago, but I'm having a brain fart on details. I do know this, when you are pulling on it, you will be PULLING down on it, hanging like a monkey on it.............just be patient, pull the front down first. You might slide the console out of the clips.

Old 02-25-2002, 11:21 PM
so does it go back up easy, or is it jsut as much of a pain to get back up there?

Old 02-26-2002, 09:26 AM
Once you get it down, you go, wow that's how it's up there. It wipps right back in like a big in a rug.

Old 02-26-2002, 12:25 PM
Question

Does anyone know how far from the overhead console the junction would be for the compass/temp unit harness to plug into? I want to add the factory unit (or something cooler), but I took mine down, found no harness waiting on me, and my only option is to tap power from the AC controls. I doubt it would be bad since those are usually VERY low power consumers.

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2002, 10:36 AM
Well, after doing a LOT of digging last night in my overhead console with a digital multi-meter, i found a couple of 12v taps.
one for the rear quarter window switches and 2 for the overhead lights.
One of the ones for the overhead lights and the one for the rear quarter windows are both tied to the ignition/accessory switch.
The other one for the overhead lights was full time 12v.
The PROBLEM with any of them is that if you put a drain on those leads from something else that requires 12v, is that they voltage dropped to 4.3 volts, thereby rendering both devices underpowered, thereby useless.
I therefore will be making a 12v multi lead run (switched and unswitched) for some projects (current and future).
It was night time when I did the digging, but I will pull it down in the daytime with my dig.cam. and pop some pics.
I will also explain for those who have not gone there, how the overhead console is held up there.
Later
Greg

Quick Reply: Overhead Console in an X