Expedition / Navigator

Leaking Moonroof on Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Leaking Moonroof on Expedition

I have a 2002 Ford Expedition with the power moonroof. The problem is that water is coming inside the rear of the moonroof. I have had a new moonroof installed and it still leaks some. Pushing down and releasing on the moonroof from the top you can tell that the moonroof is slightly looser at the back than at the front.

Have any of you had or heard of this problem and if so, what did you have to do to correct it.

Thanks,
Judson

Old 03-06-2002, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you say "warranty claim"?

I haven't heard of Ford factory moonroofs being prone to leaking

that being said, have Ford fix this and keep fixing it until its done right.

Old 03-06-2002, 07:42 PM
It's been in the ford dealership three separate times for warranty work on this. Each time they kept it from 2 to 4 days. I probably need to call a Ford Rep.

Old 03-06-2002, 09:25 PM
Angry

Oh let me tell you about the Ford Reps. I have a 2001 Ford X and has now 26k miles on it. I have had it in the shop more times than I care to go into now. Any way, long story short, you will not be able to get in contact with the Ford Rep directly. That is a contact that the dealerships have. If you want to talk with them, you have to go through the dealership. I tried that 1-800 number with Ford and that is ment to be a liasion between you and the dealership. In my case I had a great relationship with the dealership. They just could not find the issue.

Question on the leak. Is it all the time? I notice that when I go in the automatic car washes, I notice a little water comming in, but it is under force. In the rain (even really hard rain) there is no leak. When does you happen?

It is funny that you mention leaks. My truck is in the shop now to replace the rear window weatherstiping as that was leaking as well.

Boxter

Old 03-06-2002, 10:54 PM
My moonroof has never leaked <knock on wood>. However, the rear quarter and rear windows sometimes get a little drip make it through the weatherstrip. Not bad enough to take it in and it sounds like most all of them do it to some degree.

Old 03-07-2002, 12:07 AM
The only thing I ever heard so far is the drain hose not connected or not on tight enough to dain all out.

Old 03-07-2002, 01:02 PM
Hey Boxter

Thanks for replying.

It seems to leak worse when driving in the rain. The rear portion of the moonroof where it's leaking seems to be a little looser than the front. I think it must vibrate just enough driving in the rain to let water get past the rubber seal on the moonroof.

Question on your moonroof. If you push gently up and down on the moonroof from outside does your's feel looser in one area more than others?

I had a 97 Taurus SHO for 4 years with a moonroof and never had one bit of problem with it leaking and I used the moonroof a lot year round.

I'm going to get back with my dealership one more time and see what can be done about fixing my Expedition.

If anyone is having this problem please let me know what finally fixed it.

Last edited by smith1j; 03-07-2002 at 01:06 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2002, 12:57 AM
mine has yet to leak but if it does i am well prepared.

i carry a fat roll of DUCT TAPE wherever i go just in case.....

Quick Reply: Leaking Moonroof on Expedition