Expedition / Navigator

just want it a little quicker...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just want it a little quicker...

hey all...my vehicle of choice is my 2002 Lightning however my parents have a 2000 expedition. it's got the 4.6 and it's a little sluggish. are there any simple mods i can put on it to give it just a little more pep? i'm not looking to pull 10's in the 1/4...just want some more acceleration without harming the engine..the warranty is up so...i was guessing an air filter...i didn't want to chip it though. thanks for your help.

Old 03-07-2002, 05:10 PM
Try an FIPK or if want... get a chip. there is a way to make homemade FIPK's on this sight somewhere. hold on lemme look for it...........

Old 03-07-2002, 05:13 PM
ok i found it...
https://www.f150online.com/tech/airbox.html

it says it makes it a little quicker and gives it a bit more hp. its a little but louder though. if you want to go for a normal FIPK go with one that has a metal intake tube. the plastic ones tend to melt a little in the part where they attach to the intake housing. hope this helps

Last edited by wannanicecar; 03-07-2002 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:07 PM
Then basic 3 in order of bang for the buck:

SuperChip
Opened up air intake (airbox mod or FIPK)
Exhaust like Gibson or Magnaflow

Chip is by far the biggest bang for the buck

Old 03-08-2002, 12:36 AM
what color 02 did you get. i was going to trade my gator in on a blue 02 but it did not look as good as i thought it was going too.
it did look good but not "as good as i wanted it too"

plus when i told my parents they said NO "you need to move out before you spend anymore money" dad says a 19 y/o shouldnt live at home with his parents.. i feel differently though...lol

anyway i put a magnaflow exhaust system on mine and a K&N filter.
i am almost done with my appearance mods and am about to start on my performance.

volant intake, superchip, headers, then a supercharger....

good luck......

Old 03-09-2002, 10:09 PM
I agree, the 4.6 is a bit sluggish and I wanted 2 add a bit more power and kick to mine as well. So I went with the homemade FIPK a K&N and a flowmaster exhaust with dual exits. I was looking into the Airforce one & K&N FIPK's yet so many decisions told me not 2 bother with either one. The airforce one was mainly for show being shinny metal, and it can get very, very hot. So I've heard......
I have noticed a huge difference with the mods. Yet now that I've added my 22's it's a bit sluggish again. The only bad think about the chip is the necessity of 91+ octance gasoline, which in Los Angeles is at least $1.45 a gallon and rising. So great luck with anything u decide.

Old 03-11-2002, 05:40 PM
New rear-end gears.

What's the current ratio?

Old 11-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by wannanicecar
ok i found it...

it says it makes it a little quicker and gives it a bit more hp. its a little but louder though. if you want to go for a normal FIPK go with one that has a metal intake tube. the plastic ones tend to melt a little in the part where they attach to the intake housing. hope this helps

Question. Does this actually work? I remember back in high school a buddy of ours pulled the piece that goes to the side of the fender and left like a hole where is once was. This was on a little Ol' Honda though.

Anyhow, I am all for that to try it if it'll work the same way as the cold air intake.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by wannanicecar
ok i found it...

OK update.

I did it today. Err, tonight really. Here's the deal I didn't want to do it as you stated it. Why? Well b/c i spoke to someone else who did it and said they had probs. The problems the had was that it bounced around to much and over time did some damage to the filter and so on.

SO what I did was keep everything the same. There are to slots that are pushed through 2 grommets to hold the airbox in place. I took a dremel tool and cut all the was around leaving an inch of plastic around it then cutting around the part that holds the airbox in place. Then That way I don't need to cut any metal piece, I don't need and holding device. Nothing. It bolted right in as nothing was chaged there, then I used the original "end" and that clopsed perfect over the clip and the filter is still exposed fully. I am not sure of this site and posting pictures so tomorrow I'll take some and post them up for you guys to check out. It took me appx 30min to do it nicey. I meant to leave a "shield" for the heat of the motor but it'll do.

I also spoke to a guy and he said to get some pvc pipe and after the sensors after the air box compartment, then run an elbow joint pvc, then another straight back to the rubber piece that goes into the throttle body I believe it is.....Then you in essence have a complete deal and all the sensors are not moved. You also have to drill a hole, put a grommet for the vaccuum hose at the end of the air system closest to the throttle body....

Old 11-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Steven1642
plus when i told my parents they said NO "you need to move out before you spend anymore money" dad says a 19 y/o shouldnt live at home with his parents.. i feel differently though...lol
I don't see why he would say that. If you work for your own money, and you are paying them rent for staying there they have nothing to bitch about right?

Besides if it gets to bad at home you can always move into your gator. It is nicer than most peoples homes.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by jimmsimm
New rear-end gears.

What's the current ratio?
Almost missed this one. The stock gear should be 3:55 for 2wd or 3:73 for 4x4 models. A new 4:10 or 4:56 ring and pinion would go a long way towards motivating a big beast like an Expy from dead stop to 60 in less time, but of course you will run into the extra expense of having to change both front and rear end ratios if you have a 4x4, finding a way to compensate for the speedometer discrepancy, and you will also suffer even more at the pump than you already do.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by rainman15
Almost missed this one. The stock gear should be 3:55 for 2wd or 3:73 for 4x4 models. A new 4:10 or 4:56 ring and pinion would go a long way towards motivating a big beast like an Expy from dead stop to 60 in less time, but of course you will run into the extra expense of having to change both front and rear end ratios if you have a 4x4, finding a way to compensate for the speedometer discrepancy, and you will also suffer even more at the pump than you already do.
damn man, you seem to know your stuff. Tell me, why do people fail to answer questions when they know something about it? Also, is this site always this slow? I thought it would be alot more active than this. It seems like most have no clue about these trucks in this section of the forum... Kinda weird if you ask me.

There has got to be more than this as I see how much content is here. What's the deal man?

Old 11-23-2004, 12:46 PM
New gears for sure. Check pricing, parts and install prices can vary widely.

At least on my Expy, the swap from 3.31 to new 4.10 (with LSD) made a huge difference. Keep in mind that I made the swap after my blower was installed, but I could still feel it. Significantly.

Reduced downshifting shifting on hills, much less throttle application in general. much quicker acceleration.

The MPG difference isn't noticeable. Honestly, if I'm not "into the boost" I got 14 - 15 mpg before the blower & gears, and about the same now.

And your highway rpm won't be affected all that much. Modern cars have wide-range gearboxes, so you'll be fine. My rpm went from 1700 rpm(approx) @ 70mph, to about 2400rpm @ 70 mph. As you can imagine, highway acceleration previously meant an automatic gear kickdown, but not anymore.

But short of gears and a power-adder, I think you may also want to consider e-fans to free-up some power. They also make your engine much quieter when they aren't running, and your A/C will blow much cooler at low speeds.

Quick Reply: just want it a little quicker...