Expedition / Navigator

Trans Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trans Fluid

Just noticed that I couldn't search on this topic. so here goes: how do I know which transmission I have in my 97 E.B. Expedition? Need this info so I can replace the fluid/filter this weekend (about 4 gallons, right?). My VIN is: 1FMEU17L6VLC35892 and it has the towing pkg with a 3.73 LS differential. Going to try to unhook one of the cooler lines to do the complete drain. Any advice?

Thanks!

Rick

Old 03-12-2002, 09:39 PM
You might get a little better drain with the cooler lines but you'll still not get it all. Clutch packs etc.

Check the Transmission forum. Lot's of good posts. I think I even posted when I did mine a couple months ago.

I also installed a 4x4 pan (comes with a drain plug) to make future drains easier. I paid full pop at about $41 over the counter at a dealer. You can try Ford Parts Online is a dealer here in the North Texas area that quoted me $30 for it but I waited too late and ran out of time to order.

Drain the pan, the TC and you're at about 15 quarts to refill if I remember right.

Old 03-18-2002, 02:20 PM
Familyride

Familyride(or others)
Did you have any problem with getting the transmission drain to seal back up. When I had my 4X4 transmission drained at the dealer the plug leaked fluid all over the garage floor. I had the dealer stop the leak but their fix was to use RTV all over the plug. Looks ugly and is a non standard repair.

Old 03-18-2002, 10:16 PM
I installed the 4x4 pan when I did the tranny work so it was new. Mine being a 2 wheel drive didn't come with the pan with a plug.

I agree, the did a patch job. The pan doesn't cost much at all. If they couldn't seal it right, they should just replace it. I paid fdull pop over the counter at about $41. I was quoted $30 for it from a dealer that sells parts online. The pan probably costs them $10-$15

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid