Expedition / Navigator

my truck keeps dying out... is it air or fuel??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my truck keeps dying out... is it air or fuel??

sometimes when i am driving if i start to slow down and then accelerate my engine will almost comopletely die then cut back on.

it happens as soon as i hit the gas, is there air restriction or could this be a fuel related problelm..??

Old 03-19-2002, 03:16 PM
You know I had that problem last year and it just disappeared. I think it's fuel but can be sure. My stall would appear off a start. It would scare the crap out of me when taking off from a stop sign and you have traffic coming at you from the side, that splitt second of no power seems like a long time when in the intersection.

Old 03-19-2002, 11:50 PM
EXACTLY.
it scares the $h!T out of me..

it seems like it is out forever.

i use only 93 octane fuel so it couldnt be cheap gas...
maybe bad injectors, fuel sensor, fuel filter, who knows....

Old 03-20-2002, 03:28 PM
I would look at the fuel filter first and then injectors. Change the fuel filter and get a good fuel injector cleaner at the auto parts store such as Techron or Heartfield Fuel Injector cleaner. If this doesn't help, then the injectors themselves may need to be cleaned by a repair facility. Another area that it could be is electrical, but that would have to be diagnosed by a technician with a computer. Another area that gets overlooked is the catalytic converter. If it is restricted then it could cause the same thing.

Old 03-21-2002, 06:37 AM
It sound's like a sensor problem.I have had some problems with the TPS sensors having bad places in them.(Like a dead spot).You will need to have the computer scanned.Even if the check engine light isn't on it may have stored a code.

Old 03-21-2002, 08:43 AM
already scanned the computer and no codes showed up.

Old 04-09-2002, 12:20 AM
Did you ever figure this out? My 99 EB is doing the same thing. Every once in a while when leaving a stop light it has a 1 second hesitation. I've tried air filter, fuel filter, tranny service, new plugs, tranny service, injector cleaner. Nothing has helped. let me know if you fixed it.

Luke

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2002, 12:26 AM
nope still doing it..

i was thinking about it today and the only thing i have not checked is the idle speed sensor..

remove the black cover off of your engine and there will be a small about 2-3" cylinder looking device that is silver...

this is the idle speed sensor..

evidently it is off...

it is telling the truck that the engine RPM has just dropped below operating range and then as it shuts off it realizes the engine is still running so it turns back on...

that is the only thing i can think of..

i just thought of that explanation..it is not written anywhere so it is not 100% great tech advice, but there again i just finished 4 years worth of automechanics in High School so i probably know more than a tech at the dealer....

Old 04-09-2002, 09:42 AM
My 99 Expy did the exact same, one time about a year a half ago, just once. I wrote it off to ????. Its run fine since, but it sure gets your attention.

Quick Reply: my truck keeps dying out... is it air or fuel??