Expedition / Navigator

A few questions about my '98 Expedition 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A few questions about my '98 Expedition 5.4

First of all, I have owned this truck for a little less than two months now, and I am so in love!

A couple questions... in the last two days I noticed that under very heavy acceleration (practically pedal to metal) the red outline of a battery lights up to the left of my voltage meter. Both times this has happened as I am accelerating onto a freeway on-ramp. The light only flashed on and immediately back off. It came on at around 4500 rpm just before the tranny shifted and again in the next gear around the same spot. Any ideas on a cause? Could it be something as simple as a loose connection that gets jostled under the heavy acceleration? My voltage meter does not fluctuate at all when I drive, it seems to be solid around 14~15 volts... just a guess though as there are no intermediate numbers on the gauge.

The front passenger window makes a gravelly sound when being lowered, almost as if something is rubbing inside the door. Any easy fixes?

Is it possible to add an aftermarket (or even OEM) moonroof to a '98 with no overhead console?

Thanks for any and all input.

Old 04-01-2002, 02:08 AM
Look in the yellow pages under sunroof and you should see a list of dealers who specialize in autopmotive sunroof installations. I spoke to a dealer in my town and they wanted about $1500.00 to install one in my Navigator. Many of the local new car dealers use them when people order a sunroof on their new vehicle. It can many times be a cleaner looking installation than a factory sunroof.

Old 04-01-2002, 02:50 AM
When you say a dealer wanted $1500, do you mean the Ford/Lincoln Dealer or one of the places from the yellow pages? $1500 seems kind of steep... but then again, I guess it's not exactly the easiest installation, huh?

Old 04-01-2002, 10:29 AM
The price quoted was from a dealer who specializes in sunroofs. This was for a sunroof that was very simimar to the factory unit. In the 98 models I don't believe you could get a factory sunroof with rear air (I may be wrong on this) but this allowed a person to get both by adding the aftermarket sunroof. You should check with some sunroof dealers down their and see what they are quoting. You probably have more shops that do this kind of work so the price might be a little cheaper.

Old 04-01-2002, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your help NaviMan.

Anyone else have any answers/suggestions on any of the other topics?

Old 04-01-2002, 11:27 PM
Hmm, maybe a slipping belt on the alternator? Wild guess......

Old 04-02-2002, 12:53 AM
My battery icon light came on, stayed on for ~ 1 day, then the whole thing died. I was at a Sears and they said my battery and alternator were both shot. One probobly took out the other. I was stranded there and a new batt. and a rebuilt alternator set me back $500!!!

Trending Topics

Old 04-02-2002, 12:58 AM
any more problems lately....???

Old 04-02-2002, 11:04 PM
No new problems, just the same battery icon lighting up 4500+ rpm...

Quick Reply: A few questions about my '98 Expedition 5.4