Expedition / Navigator

Exhaust rattle at idle( need help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust rattle at idle( need help)

Any Expy owners have any problems with the stock exhaust?

I have a 2000 Expy Eddie Bauer that has a nawful rattle only when it is in drive, and at idle. Once you hit the gas and the tach gets over 1200 or so it disapears. I have not found anything wrong yet.
One dealership has told me over the phone that it could be some stones caught in the heat shield around the converter.
Any one else have something like this too??

Old 04-01-2002, 04:03 PM
I think I can help. I had the same problem with my Lincoln Navigator and it turned out to be the heat shield they use to cover the muffler. It has a tendency to come unwelded in spots and cause an awful rattle. It drove me crazy until I pulled into a muffler shop to see what could be done, and they said for about $10.00 they could tack weld it. It's really only necessary if you do a lot off offroading and get into some high grass, otherwise it doesn't really perform any function. I had them take it off and they didn't charge me a thing. Good luck, and I bet this should cure your problem.

Old 04-01-2002, 11:13 PM
I have the same problem with my 01 Expy.
It took some knocking around on the exhaust system with a small ping hammer to find the rattle.
Found it...slightly altered the alignment of the metal and no rattle....
Greg

Old 04-02-2002, 12:25 PM
Thanks two you both, I think I am going to remove the heat shield on that one side, but firts i will try the hammer thing to "re shape" it first.

Quick Reply: Exhaust rattle at idle( need help)