Expedition / Navigator

Door panels

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door panels

I have a brand new 2002 Expy and a friend hooked me up with a set of JL Audio 5x7's... I want to take them to a shop and have them put on, but sheesh, buying a 30k truck strains the wallet! So I want to put them in myself but I cant figure out how to get the door panels off. I dont want to break them because 1) its a new truck and 2) my wife would kill me. Any tips or tricks anyone? Thanks!

Greg

Old 04-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Going by memory, you've gotta pry a few plastic covers off, triangular shaped one at top of door panel near dash, around power locks/windows and I think around light/reflector. Once these are removed, unscrew the retaining screws. Then get a firm grip on the panel and lift up. You might have to "bump" the panel upward a couple times but it will release eventually. Speaker swap is a breeze after that.

Old 04-09-2002, 03:49 PM
you will also need an adapter plate that fits 5x7's into the factory opening.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:11 PM
Most 5x7 speakers are universal with 6x8 and you shouldn't need a speaker adapter.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:48 PM
OTHERS SCREWS ALSO

pry off the plastic retainer around door opening handle
use a socket take off handle
there's a screw "phillips" that hold a clamp down. it's located in the upper side of the hole where the door handle was... unscrew that screw it will loosen it then after your screw at the bottom near the light is out and the two screws up at the front top corner are out and the power window thing is pryed out and unhooked you can bump the door panel up then pull out for god sakes don't just pull it out it will break all the L shape plastic hooks it needs to come up about half an inch or a little more then it will just come right off

Quick Reply: Door panels