Expedition / Navigator

Owners of 2003 Exy. ?4U

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owners of 2003 Exy. ?4U

For all new owners of the 2003 Exy;

Was wondering, has Ford fixed the vent in the gas tank? Can you fill it all the way up?

I have a 2001 Ford Exy. Says it has a 26 Gal tank. Through trial and error I have found that it has a 28.4 gal tank. However, when I fill it up, the pumps always stop at about 20 gals or so. It is a REAL PAIN to have to get the last 8 gals in. I took the truck to the dealer and I have heard that almost all of the Exys have this same problem. It is attributed the fact that the vent hose on the gas fill pipe is too small.

Has anyone even filled up yet? If so, do you remember where the pumps clicked off? How much more could you get in before you are full?

Thanks,

Boxter

Old 05-18-2002, 12:36 AM
My '99 has 30 ? gallon tank. I have no problems filling it up, now paying for the fuel is another matter. Now where is that gument check. . . Honey, you got the food stamps? LOL

Old 05-18-2002, 01:04 PM
you know you are not supposed to fill your truck all the way up...

read in the owners manual....
you are supposed to let it click.. then click 2 to 3 more times....

Old 05-18-2002, 01:55 PM
I think you missed the point Steven. If the tank is virtually empty and it's a 26 gallon tank, it shouldn't click off at 20 gallons. I agree that their is some sort of venting problem or restriction that is taking place. You should be able to get close to 26 gallons in the tank. The best bet is to take it into a reputable shop and have it checked out. I prefer independent garages over dealerships. A little more personal service.

Old 05-19-2002, 10:48 PM
I've found the best way is to find a station where you can park nose down. It's almost as if when sitting level, the tank is tipped down on the back end. ?????

I've found a coupld of stations where I can park nose down and it fills much better. I can get up to 26-28 gallons before it shuts off on me when it's bone dry (30 gallon tank)

I think that extra 2 gallons you'd getting is like the extra 2-3 I can squeeze in every now and then (33 gallons best) is partly in the neck. It's once you've really filled the tank and keep going; which can be dangerous as it can create too much pressure and in the least, blow gas back up at you and all over the side of your truck (it's done it to me once before)

Old 05-20-2002, 01:05 PM
After many frustrating efforts at "filling up", I now make it a personal quest as to how low I can take it (0 showing on miles to empty computer readout) and then see how much it'll take. One secret is to let it fill slowly, rock the chassis ( kinda like all us dads who burped the curtain climbers to force more in and then hand em to mom for the hurl that comes 5 minutes later), and be patient.

Best record to date is 30.4 in with .2 down the side.

Can ya beat it?

Keith

Old 05-21-2002, 06:01 PM
Keith, that’s hilarious.

On a little more serious note, I’ve never had any problems with my ’00 5.4L.

Old 05-21-2002, 07:56 PM
Kieth,

I've gotten 33 in mine once and 32 3-4 times. Yes, you've got to be on a mission to do it!

Old 05-23-2002, 11:46 AM
Why is everone trying to cram all that extra fuel into the tank?

When you over fill it, raw fuel gets sucked into the evap. system, then into the engine. The charcoal canister will also get saturated with fuel.

Old 05-23-2002, 11:52 AM
Home Skillet.......

We cram it in cause we're genetically encoded as men to do so and because we can!

Seriously tho....what are the effects and symptoms to look for as a result?

Keith

Old 05-23-2002, 03:30 PM
VG1
I hope they fixed the problem with the 2003. I have a 99, we took it on a long road trip last weekend and at one gas station it clicked off at 15 gallons and I babied in gas untill I hit 26.4. Normally I don't try to cram that much in but since it was gonna get used right away I went all the way with it. I supposedly have a 26 gallon tank, but there's at least 2-3 gallons more room than that in there somewhere.

Now the wife's King Ranch goes all the way to the top and clicks off. You might be able to get another .5 gallons in after that if you're lucky. *shrug* I've probably wasted 3 hours trying to get that darn tank full on the Expi over the last 3 years. Darn thing.

Old 05-23-2002, 10:32 PM
You have to remember, when the guage is at "E". You still have about 3-4 gallons of fuel in the tank.

The tank has three 'extra' holes in the top. The 2 on each end are for the evaporative emissions system vacuum. The other is for the Fuel Tank Pressure [FTP] transducer.

When you over fill the tank, every time you take off or brake, you can allow fuel to be sucked into the evap system hoses. This can cause all kinds of driveability concerns. The oxygen sensors will see a rich condition and the PCM will start cutting the injectors back. You may smell raw fuel also.

If you stand the tank on end, yes-it does have a 30gal capacity. The extra room is for fuel expansion and to prevent the scenario explained above.

Old 05-24-2002, 12:50 PM
The reason the guage shows empty and you still have 2-3 gallons left is so women don't run out of gas all the time! Ha Ha

Old 05-24-2002, 02:04 PM
So let me get this right, there's still 2+ gallons left in the tank when my computer readout says "0 miles till your screwed". What a relief........I'll have to let my wife find out..........but first I'll be sure and turn my cell phone off.....

Keith

Old 05-24-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by mikey88
The reason the guage shows empty and you still have 2-3 gallons left is so women don't run out of gas all the time! Ha Ha
Hummmm.... That explains the 'teathered' gas cap as well, so when they here it slapping against the fender in the wind they know not to tell the husband that someone stole the gas cap. They just tell him someone was trying to steal gas instead. LOL

Quick Reply: Owners of 2003 Exy. ?4U