Expedition / Navigator

wish i had foglights. why do they keep blowing out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wish i had foglights. why do they keep blowing out.

i keep trying to put in different fog lights and they all blow except for the factory ones...

i have tried the cheap blue kind all the way to the PIAA Xtemes...
nothing will last ...

WTF is going on and WTF can i do to fix it?

Old 06-14-2002, 07:11 AM
Are you using the factory wiring harness? What do you mean by "blow" ? Is it the fuse or the filament?

Old 06-14-2002, 01:24 PM
is is the light..
they keep going out..

they last between 5 minutes to 3 days....
just depends...

but it is getting expensive...

is there another type of wiring harness i can use.....???

Old 06-14-2002, 02:07 PM
Stupid question but

Are you touching the bulbs with your hands when you install the bulbs? This will automatically blow the bulbs when you turn them on. If you must touch the bulb to install wear a pair of clean gloves. The other problem may be how the bulbs are "seating" when you put them back in the housing, if they are loose they will also bounce around and blow quite easily. The final thing to check is whether or not the relacement bulbs are the appropriate wattage for the factory fogs.

Old 06-14-2002, 02:41 PM
Had the same issue, but in a different car

Steven,

My Audi did the same thing. I was trying to use those new (at the time) "Cheater HID Bulbs." I found that the issue at that time was the bulbs. Most of the time the glass was painted to be blue. I was also trying to make them brighter than they were designed for.

2 lessons learned:
Stay with PIAA. They make a good product and they last.

Stay with the wattage that comes with the truck. If not, look into another wiring harness. I think it was PIAA that was offering another harness. I did not want to get into it, so I went with the wattage that I was supposed to run.

Finally got the PIAA Plasma bulbs that were supposed to fit. I had them in with no problems (both headlights and fogs) and did not have to replace them for like 2 years. I had to replace 1 bulb (and the bummer is that it blew out 2 days before I got rid of the car).

Not sure it this helps, but it is my $.02!

Boxter

Old 06-15-2002, 12:03 AM
The silver stars work great. Better and brighter than PIAA in my opinion.

Old 06-15-2002, 09:45 AM
Got PIAA's in my stock fog holes. Two years, no problems.

Steven, you sure are having problems.... Maybe it's a voodoo curse on your gator....

Good Luck!

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2002, 08:15 PM
Steven,

We emailed a while back, but I was also having the same problem. My fog lights burnt out the Harnesses. Then one of my headlight did the same thing. I too had the impression HID bulbs. I wasn't sure wtf'n problem was. I had to replace the Front Driver side Headlight Wire and socket. Those were from the bulbs sold by PlasmaIndustries. I got replacements for them and gave them away, but I ended up getting Superwhite bulbs off of ebay again for 20$ and trying my luck. LUCKILY, i have had NO problems since.. I think it is because of Moisture, but I am not exactly sure. I just NEVER run my foglights at the same time as my headlights unless I'm am cruizin through town at night. And even then, I only have them on for about 10 minutes.....

I would just say, try different company's,,, try not to run your headlights during the day/ ONly at night, and only use your fogs' for show for small periods of time. I think the navigator wiring harnesses cannot withstand enough heat,,, but I don't really know.

GOOD luck,

What's your new emails adress?

- Jon

Quick Reply: wish i had foglights. why do they keep blowing out.