Expedition / Navigator

selling my Exp

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question selling my Exp

Unfortunately I'll soon be parting with my Expedition. Was looking forward to keeping it for atleast a few more years, but my employer just QUADRUPLED the cost of my health insurance... Talk about an attack on my pocket book.... Anyway, according to Kelly Blue Book, Trade- In is only $18,975... That was also a big surprise... Anyway, I've been looking at the 2002 sport tracs, and really fell in love with the interior. The leather seats are much more comfortable that the ones in my Exp. The Instrument panel looks awesome. I was wondering if any of you could offer me some advice(any dealers or salesmen out there...). As of July 1st, the current $1500 factory rebate will expire. I'm going to try to sell my Exp myself so that I can atleast get $21,000 for it. My problem is the lack of time. I know that the 2003's should be out in 3-4 months. Any of you guys think it would be better to wait until then??? Should I be able to get a better deal on a 2002 after the 2003's come out than what I should be able to get right now, considering the fact that Ford would be assisting me with $1,500 right now due to the rebate?? How far below invoice can the dealer come and still profit??? Sorry for the long post... please give me any advice you may have......

Thanks,

Old 06-26-2002, 08:13 AM
first negoiate the price of the car - invoice is the only acceptable deal. then put the $1500 factory cash in your pocket, it's yours to keep. don't let them work it into getting you to invoice.

call the fleet manager and tell him your deal, it's a no brainer.

Old 06-26-2002, 08:43 AM
I can tell you from experience that the easiest way to get a truck at cost is through the Internet! Once you know what you want in a truck, go to www.carpoint.com. Go to the new car pricing and fill out what you want. They will send a request to the fleet managers of several dealerships in your area.

The guy that I dealt with e-mailed me a scanned copy of the invoice for my truck. Went in and that was the price that I got (actually got it for $100 under invoice). It was easy and pain free. None of the bs of having the sales guy go to his manager and "work for me".

As for the rebates, I was able to get my rebate taken off the price of the truck. So I paid $1100 under invoice for my Exy.

As for the question on what to do, that is really a good one. Normally, when a new year model truck comes out, last years' model does go on sale. The dealers are usually eager to get them off their lot. Especially when there is a major change. For 2003 (I think) there are only minor changes. Most of which have to do with improved gas mileage. To try and figure out what Ford is going o do with future rebates and such is really hard to do. But based on past experience, I would be willing to bet that they will have some sort of rebates and such available soon after the new 2003 hits the floors.

The question to ask yourself is, can you wait until that happens? It may not be at the time of release. It may be a month or 6 months or whatever after that.

I am not a dealer or really have anything to do with Ford. This information is based only on opinion. I hope it helps.

Boxter

Old 06-26-2002, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.... I kow one thing for sure: I won't be trading my Expedition in.... I was truly expecting for them to offer me around $19,000(trad-in value according to Kelly blue book). I then figured I could get a little bit more out of them. But I was quite suprised when then offerred me only $16,000. My vehicle is flawless. It does have 65K on the odometer, but other than that it's great. I'll be trying to sell it myself, where I think I should be able to altleast get $20,000. What do you guys think??? Am I expecting too much?? Retail value is over $23,500.

Old 06-26-2002, 10:49 PM
UNless you just owe a boatload on the Expy, if it's just payment that's making you sell, I'd think you could find a bank and refinance it. But it being a '99, I wouldn't think you'd owe much more on it unless you bought it preowned more recently.

Quick Reply: selling my Exp