Expedition / Navigator

just got the 22's for the expo....Drop question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking just got the 22's for the expo....Drop question

i picked up some a set of diablo wheels with 305/40/22 pirelli's (spell?). anyhow, goin from my old set of 20's to the new 22's is a nice change, the gap between the fenders looks good but not to mention the stance of the expo is another 2" high. i like the "looks" of it right now but im wanting the "dropped" look. i know trhis fourm is mainly for 4x4ers but out here in Los Angeles, CA. you see more 20's+ rims on expo's than 4x4's. my suspension is a stock 97 w/ rear LLS, i've looked into dropping the front end by means cutting the front coils. i've talked to three local shops and they want to cut a trun off the front coils to achive a 2" drop in the front, the rear end is adjustable so i'll just lower the adjusting bracket screw to the lowest setting. $350 bucks for this front end drop. the first thing i asked about was the camber, they all told me that w/ the camber kit that i'll be needing to re-adjust the camber correctly would take care of the camber issue that i have. any advice/ info on this or pictures of dropped expo's on 22's? thanks in advance!

Old 07-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Oh my god! No! No! No!

Do not cut your coils. This was the cheap way back in the 70's and 80's to lower a vehicle, but you lose all the strength of the coil and the ride can be horrible. DJM, Belt Tech and Ground Force all make lowering kits for the Expi that should do you just fine. If you just want a slight drop, then you can probably get by with 2" lowered coils.:o

Old 07-02-2002, 08:23 PM
drop

I would second that. Do not cut the coils, new front coils and the install should be less than the shop wants just to cut the ones you have. I dropped my X 2" all around with the Bel Tech kit and love it. I have 18's on it and it drives great. I also pull a boat and have not had any problems.

Old 07-02-2002, 09:21 PM
Exclamation

What they said!!!! Dont cut the springs.

You don't even need to buy an entire kit. You can just buy shorter springs and a Moog alignment kit for 1/2 that price. Also, you can put the original springs back on if you ever need to.

My 4X4 is dropped 3/3 with 22's, but don't look slammed by any stretch.

See member SilverX for pics.

Old 07-03-2002, 12:05 AM
00Expo,

How did you get a 3" drop on your 4x4? Does Western Motorsports have a website? I was only able to get about 2" on my Navi and it actually looks a little lower than yours. Nice looking Expi you have.

Old 07-03-2002, 09:17 AM
I purchased an early kit. they have since redesigened and now offer 2 1/2" kit. My pics are a little deceiving due to the light on the fender flare. I have been tweekin ride hight and have gotten the gap between the top of the tire and the fender lip to approx. 2 1/4 inches front. The rear is 1/2" higher. I am considering swapping the rear springs for bags, but am trying to get feedback on handling / cornering and ride with the bags.
I think the look of the Nav may contribute to the difference in drop.

www.wmsracing.com

Old 07-03-2002, 09:54 AM
Thanks 00Expo.

What all came in the kit to lower the front end of your Expi. I went to their website and they have a 2" kit, but it doesn't say what parts they used. Did the kit give you new torsion keys and did you adjust your bolt out on the torsion key (and how much if you did)?

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2002, 09:59 AM
00expo,

Is your truck a XLT w/ a sport package? If it is, would you mind posting more pics or giving a link w/ other pics. I also have a XLT sport and i am looking for ideas for moding it. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2002, 12:22 PM
Yep. Looks like we started out with the same vehicle. Other than 4X4.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=1770

Old 07-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Hey eman

Are you wanting to sell your 20" rims.I am looking for some
20's for my wifes expi and would be interested if the price is right.
Let me know.

Thanks

Old 07-06-2002, 02:36 PM
WMS

WMS lowering kit comes with new torsion keys, a Moog alignment kit, lower bump stops, and rear springs, progressive rate like the original which helps when under load. Many kits come with straight springs which IMO don't offer the versatility. The kit is simple, and easy to install, but if things are rusted, the torsion bars can be a !@$%# to get loose from the keys. You need a really BFH. Once the new keys are in, you can adjust the ride hight approx. 1 turn per inch. I used the normal Bilstein shocks, not shorter ones. That is a good time to replace the shocks as you have to remove at lease one side to fit the rear springs. All told, I am thinking of bags now.

Quick Reply: just got the 22's for the expo....Drop question