Expedition / Navigator

Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Garage Door Opener

I bought a 02 Expedition about 6 months ago. I try putting the garage door opener in capartment designed for it, but I have to pull up right in front of the door before it will work. Does anybody have any ideas of how to boost the signal so I can get the garage door opener off my visor.

Thanks,

Old 07-09-2002, 09:00 AM
You might wanna.....

Look at your garage door opener itself. There is an antenna there somewhere. On mine, it is just an extra wire that is not attached to anything. Try making it longer. Run it along the ceiling to the door, or better yet, just outside the door. If you cannot find the wire, add one and run it to the door.

I have a question for you now. Where is the compartment that you are talking about? I have a 2001 Ford XLT Sport with sunroof. Is the compartment in the console that normally runs overhead?

Hope this helps,

Boxter.

Old 07-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Compartment is exactly where you stated. Right overhead down the middle of the ceiling. Compartments for garage door opener and sunglasses. You lose this area when you have the sunroof.

Old 07-09-2002, 11:28 PM
I had one like that in a Jeep GC. I've got a moonroof in the Expy so no garage door opener.

Try new batteries. The antenna idea is also good. I found good batteries made a big difference.

Old 07-10-2002, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the antenna idea Boxter. I think I am going to try attaching the wire to the all the metal railing that the door runs on. I will let you know if it helps. If that doesn't work I will try the batteries. I don't think it is the batteries since I just had my garage built 3 months before I bought the Expy.

Old 07-20-2002, 07:38 AM
Garage Door Opener

ok that brings up a different point for me I can't get the garage door opener to stay in place first used the factoy velcro stuck for about three hours. Aftermarket velcro stuck for about two days ?? I have a heavy garage door opener but it shouldn't be that much differrent . Worked great when it was in and adjusted
maybe superglue ?? no that would stink when the battery wnet out ;-)

Old 07-20-2002, 07:56 AM
I had the same problem. None of the velcro adhesive will stick to the openers I have. I solved it with a zip tie and a razor blade.

Cut two small slits just large enough to allow a small zip tie through on either side of the velcro square that applies to the back of the opener. Place the furry side of the velcro down on a table, pass the zip tie though the holes you made. The zip tie will be on top of the velcro adhesive except in the two small areas toward the outside of the velcro. These areas are going to act like little belt loops. Press the back of the opener down on the velcro and zip tie then fasten the zip tie on the front of the opener, pull tight and trim.

It looks clean and the zip tie acts like a little belt that holds the vecro to the back of the opener. I'll try to post some pictures in a couple of days.

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2002, 09:48 PM
A little hot melt got mine to stay in place!!! Its been solid for three years now..

Old 07-21-2002, 10:09 PM
I had the same problem with the antenna until I added about 5 ft. of phone wire to it. I was told the wire you add has to be a smaller diameter. I don't know, but mine now opens from 100ft away where I used to have to almost touch the door to open it. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener