Expedition / Navigator

XM Radio Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up XM Radio Installed

Just installed an Alpine CDA-7893 HU along with an Alpine XM Receiver and Terk SC1 antennae. This setup replaced my Ford OEM HU and 6-disk CD changer. FYI, the 6 CD changer is NOT compatible with any after-market products. ANYBODY NEED A OEM HU OR 6CD CHANGER?!?!?

I will never go back to AM\FM again! Man, is this setup sweet! By going with the Alpine XM receiver and HU, the sound is as clear as a CD). IMHO, the FM-modulated XM setup will not give the best sound.

The HU installed a pretty straightforward using Crutchfield's installation kit and wiring harness. The XM receiver went under the front passenger seat. The XM antennae went on the right-side cargo area window. Both the HU and XM receiver are wired to the battery.

Even my wife thinks XM it's awesome. About 35-40% of the channels are totally commercial-free. With the others, I have only heard one or two commercials. More than worth the $10\month charge.

For the equipment (everything new), I paid a total of $600.

I should not have waited so long to get this setup. Next up, swap out the OEM speakers for MB Quart's!

Old 07-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to finally hear some actual people commenting on XM... I've heard about and read it about if for so long, I was wondering on the actual quality. I'm still on the hunt for a good XM receiver to partner into a multimedia system, but budget is making it slow going for now... how much do you want to let that changer go? lol

Old 07-11-2002, 04:32 PM
Seriously?

Tater-
If you are seriously interested in the 6CD changer, visit my classified on this website and send me an email with an offer. I know what the unit goes for at the dealer, but am not looking for anywhere near that much!

XM is definitely catching on. I haven;t used my AM, FM, of CD in a week!

Old 07-17-2002, 03:55 PM
I have XM Radio in my 2000....I have an older Sony Mobile ES HU, and have been waiting for their Unilink module to hit the street. My 3 year old HU is XM ready!! Anyway, the quality of XM is good, much better than FM, but definitely not CD quality. I'd say it's up there around MP3's. There are 100 stations, and 70% are commercial free, but after listening, even the DJ's coming very 20 minutes can be annoying. I have heard complaints that the staions are too "genre specific" and don't play enough hits, etc....I though that was the whole point of satellite radio...if you want Top 40, you have that now on FM, and who would pay for that?

Old 08-02-2002, 08:50 AM
Jmartin.... Where did you get all that for $600????? I price it at Crutchfield and I come up with 900 with HU, Changer XM and Antenna

Old 08-02-2002, 01:49 PM
Thumbs up eBay

ExpyBoy-
After researching the XM hardware out there and reading the various websites, I decided on the specific items I wanted to purchase. I went to a reputable audio installer and priced out the equipment (which was closer to your $900 estimate).

Then, I went onto eBay (known to other FleaBay) and purchased the items separated. I picked well-established sellers, many of which had a return policy. Hence, I was able to drop $200-$250 off of the cost of the XM equipment.

To date, I've had no issues with any of the components. My next step is to purchase some MBQuart front components speakers!

LOVE XM!

Old 08-02-2002, 02:14 PM
I already have Infinity Kappa's and a Fosgate AMp with 60x4 + 150 along Fosgate 8" sub... I kept the Stock HU to allow the rear seat controls.... NOW I want better sounding CD's etc.... I have wanted to install the Alpine stuff, but the price OMG

Quick Reply: XM Radio Installed