Expedition / Navigator

Need Expedition Info (97-99)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Need Expedition Info (97-99)

I'm new to the board, was referred here by my brother.

I'm shopping around for an SUV due to my newly increased family. I've always been fond of the Expedition... good size, comfortable interior, decent price range, etc. I have some questions about the vehicle that are somewhat general and am looking for some reliable information...

- What kinds of things are bad on it? Does anything wear out quickly and need replacing? Interior or mechanical. Does the stereo suck and require aftermarket? You get the idea.

- How many miles are expected from the average Expedition? I understand this number can be very largely but I'm looking for something general. I typically take very good care of my vehicles and expect them to last a long time.

- What are the better qualities from those who own them?

- What options are best for the vehicle? Do you have one and wish you would've gotten one with different options?

- What options are best to avoid? I really want a sunroof but will pass if they are notoriously leaky, etc.

- Is there a year to avoid? Wasn't the first year 1997? Were there lots of bugs on this model that were fixed in '98?

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to get something used and reliable... something that will accept another 100,000 miles without giving me many hassles.

Andy

Old 07-13-2002, 08:56 AM
I bought a used 2000 XLT Sport 5.4 4X4 in 2001 w/ 15,000 miles. Make sure you look, there are great deals out there. It needed front brake pads immidiately. At 21,000 a rear shock blew out. At 28,000 it needed 2 upper ball joints, tie rod ends, and an idler arm. Then there was the tire recall. All of this was covered under warranty, but i replaced the brakes and shocks myself w/ aftermarket. I'm considering an extended warranty given its track record.
I have a sunroof, no problems. Depending on your location, I would recommend at least 2wd w/ a LS rear. Also, The 5.4L w/ 3.55 gears if you plan to tow, or pack it full. 4X4 w/ LS has great traction w/ good tires. The rear AC is great for the back area if you get the 3rd seat. Kids don't mind so much as the adults! Premier stereo w/ CD changer is pretty good, it's still in!
All said, I love my expo, no plans of getting rid of it.

Old 07-13-2002, 10:20 AM
Ill answer some of your questions.

I have a 1997 Ford Expedition XLT with 101k miles on the clock. In about 2 hours I will be leaving on a roadtrip and will add another 5k. I have never had any problems with my vehicle. It has run great for its whole life. The only thing that I have ever replaced was the starter. This was because of heavy flooding and not a faulty starter. I recommend that you look for an Expedition that has an air suspension. I bought mine with it and it is great. When you tow anything with it, the vehicle rises so you dont bottom out or drag. I see a lot of explorers that look like they are dragging the back end.

--Stereo- I got mine with the stock stereo. It says premium on the lids and I do have the 6cd changer but I dont think that this stereo is any good. Although I hear that if you get the Mach option it will be much better. I listen to music with heavy bass and now one of my speakers needs replacing.

--Miles- Id say that you should get about 150k miles out of the engine and even more if its taken care of

--Quality- I like the quality that the Expy has over others. Its a very solid vehicle and the interior is much better then the competitors.

--Options- The one option I wanted but did not get is teh sunroof. I really wanted one but in an Expy they are very small. I didnt get it.

--Years- I didnt find anything wrong with my 1997. I drove a lot of other Expys and they all seem the same. I recommend that you get the 5.4 if you will do towing though. For me the 4.6 is enough.

Good luck on finding an Expy. Please excuse any typos as dont feel like rereading all that.

Old 07-14-2002, 11:43 PM
I'll be brief but my 2000 EB is great. No problems at all.

I'd looks for '99 and newer. A few things changed ovber the years and in '99 the biggest changes were made. 5.4 got a boost in power witht he addition of PI heads.

In 2000 a feww more things got changes, to me the biggest "good" changes was larger more powerful brakes.

I have a 3:55 LS rear and the tow package. See my sig for "improvments". I tow a boat that's not light. 7000-7500 pounds depending on fuel, water and gear. Tows great! A friend has a '98 bone stock with open rear diff and has problems with a boat at least 1000 lbs lighter. Get's tossed around on the hwy, horrible gas milage and can't do more than mid 60's MPH on a good day or he feels he may lose it. Mine does great! (did I already say that?) Although I can do 75+ comfortably, 70+ isn't comfortable towing this much if you know what I mean.

Nothing has broke and it just runs and runs. 42000 miles in 2 1/2 years so far.

With the Expy market the way it is, you should be able to get a great deal on pre-owned 2000 or 2001 right now.

Oh, I have a moonroof as well and it's fine; never leaked a drop (even when I left it vented and it RAINED!)

Old 07-15-2002, 11:53 AM
I have a '98 Expy 4x4 with LLS and 3.73 gears bought it used with 32K on it. Now has 52K and it has been perfect (except for the rear wiper stopped working). I'm very pleased.

My suggestions: Get the 5.4 no matter what year you choose, you'll like the power. Get 3.55 or 3.73 gears, stay away from the 3.31 it feels a little sluggish. Some of the '99 5.4 have oil leak problems due to a casting flaw on the block so crawl under the truck and make sure the passenger head gasket isn't leaking. Get the LLS, load leveling suspension. I like the Eddie Bauer better than the XLT. These trucks are plentiful, so shop around; you'll find the ONE for you. Good Luck.

Old 07-15-2002, 12:31 PM
Per year, what are the power options? What horsepower/torque in each year? I probably won't tow for a couple of years. Thanks for the input.

Andy

Old 07-20-2002, 10:03 AM
For 97-98 they were 230/325, and for 99-02 260/360. I'm a little rusty but I think those were the numbers.

Also, I think the 97-98 had the 2H-AWD-4H-4L system vs. the newer AWD/4H/4L.

I believe there is some power loss due to the fronts getting power in AWD all the time.

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2002, 12:27 PM
I've had a 99 EB 4X4 since January of 99. ITs been probolem free, just a few little things. We just had our kids and grandkids out for a week, the expedition was ideal for transporting all six of us around. Put over 1000 miles on it in a week. Wouldn't have anything else.

Old 07-22-2002, 03:34 PM
All in all I'm satisfied with my 99EB but have it has had its share of woes:

1.) #4 coil pack replacement (each cylinder has its own respective coil, leaky heater hose is the culprit. Shared problem by 20% of owners)

2.) Multi stalk replacement

3.) Tranny rebuild at 36K. I don't tow.

4.) Rear windshield wiper motor replacement (prevalent throughout the fleet, dealers sometimes go thru 2-3 new ones trying to find a good one)

5.) Front leather seat cover replacements (excessive wear, musta not been "range fed" cattle, wear thru on seams).

6.) Roof rack replaced because paint and primer peeling off

7.) CD changer replaced

T Boned a mini van and had to replace frame. Don't get me started on what happens when the dealer rebuilds your vehicle.

Some 5.4's had a "piston-slap" issue.

Whatever you do, buy an extended warranty!

Old 07-22-2002, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all of the input.

This past Friday I bought a Red 99 EB, every option.

[img]www.djs1w.com/sharper/Andy%27s%20Truck/images/Expy1.jpg[/img]

After driving the thing this past weekend I've got yet more questions. The power ratings are 240/360, how do I know which one I have???? Took a bit of looking on the internet to find out how to find the code for the door lock on the drivers door... got that from this forum.

I appreciate the help. This is a pretty nice truck and I'm really happy with it.

Andy

Old 07-22-2002, 04:28 PM
Andy,

Congratulations and enjoy the "beast". Mine's the Wedgewood Blue, but would have preferred the Red. Just remember my last sentence. Also another great site is the Expedition.net. Daily update of last 24 hour forum.

Trick now is to never have a credit card handy when surfing the "mod-sites".

Old 07-22-2002, 10:11 PM
Your 99 is rated @ 260 HP. It has the PI heads. I too have a 99 EB 4X4 since new, and still love it. I've looked at others, Sequoia for one, and don't think they compare at all.

Originally posted by aharper
Thanks for all of the input.

This past Friday I bought a Red 99 EB, every option.

[img]www.djs1w.com/sharper/Andy%27s%20Truck/images/Expy1.jpg[/img]

After driving the thing this past weekend I've got yet more questions. The power ratings are 240/360, how do I know which one I have???? Took a bit of looking on the internet to find out how to find the code for the door lock on the drivers door... got that from this forum.

I appreciate the help. This is a pretty nice truck and I'm really happy with it.

Andy

Quick Reply: Need Expedition Info (97-99)