Expedition / Navigator

00expo xenarc lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00expo xenarc lights?

How do you like them?
What color are they? Do they look like the lexus GS430 (bluish) or more purplish like mercedes? I'm considering getting a pair?

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2002, 08:17 AM
Perhaps you could direct your questions to the webmaster. There was a post in the 'site announcements' forum that mentioned Sylvanina was prepared to award a set to some lucky member that would in return write about the install / ownership experiance.

I am sure that I am not the only person that would like to know the status of this project.

Old 07-15-2002, 10:34 AM
Xenarcs

joseford,

conincidentally I have both the Xenarcs on my Expy and a GS400. The Xenarcs more closely resemble the lights on my GS than on a Mercedes (which are usually more purpleish). The light output is amazing, well worth the $800 bucks (for me it was anyway). The install is easy as pie took me about 30 minutes including taking off my push bar. I got so used to having the HID's (on my Lex, my wife's Lex) that I wanted them for the Expy and when I saw the Sylvania kit it was pretty much a done deal, my wife said absolutely you should get them so that was the deal maker. Do you have a GS also?

Old 07-15-2002, 02:24 PM
I also have the Sylvanina Xenarc on my Expy. I was expecting
a bit more for $800.
I am okay with them, just not thrilled with them.
I think they are the only HID kit out there that is DOT approved.
That is why they cost so much.

The Xenarc are clear white, not bluish or purplish.

Old 07-15-2002, 04:55 PM
Thanks

Johnny Mo,

I don' t have a GS400 but I've noticed they have a bluish tint to their light output. I'm in the market for another set of HID's. I previously had the APC "projector" headlamps in with a K2 universal 9007 HID kit. My kit had the purplish tint to the light output. I thought it was a really good kit, but the APC headlight's light distribution was pretty poor. I'm waiting to either get the xenarcs or get another set of headlights from this company called TYC (they make high quality projector headlights for various makes) and put in another 6000K HID kit.

Thanks,
Jose

Old 07-16-2002, 05:48 PM
BigRed;

How is the light pattern? Is it consistent or blotchy? I seriously looking when I read somewhere that the beam pattern was crappy.

Ian

Old 07-17-2002, 09:22 AM
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by joseford
Johnny Mo,

I'm waiting to either get the xenarcs or get another set of headlights from this company called TYC (they make high quality projector headlights for various makes) and put in another 6000K HID kit.

Thanks,
Jose
Jose - When you locate a source for the TYC projectors, can you please post it!

RSchyns

Old 07-17-2002, 09:29 AM
Xenarcs

Ian N - the light pattern is a little bit blotchy, but from what Sylvania told me it has to be that way because they are not self leveling lights. When I say blotchy I don't mean it is bad, but there are a few hot spots here and there, but I am happy with the upgrade. Don't get me wrong they are not even close to the one's on my Lexus, but that system isn't even available as an aftermarket upgrade, if it was it'd be more than $2,500, so for me it was worth the $800 on these.

BIGRED-
As far as the light color goes... I agree that they are not blue, but compared to the yellowish tinge you get from halogens, because the HID's are so white, they will give a bluish looking light.

Old 07-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Hi Ian

I wont say that it is crappy. It lights up the road alot. It has a wide pattern. If I am in the middle lane it lights up my lane as well
as the left lane and right lane. I have talk to other drivers with HID and they say this is normal. I quess it takes some time to get accustom to. Also remember they are street legal and DOT approved.

Good luck

Old 07-17-2002, 03:50 PM
I slapped a set on mine, and initially I was disappointed, since I was used to non-DOT approved Hiper Whites. But in time, I didn't miss the blue, and the hot white light really cuts down the road...they are a bit blotchy, but not bad....and when you live in Virginia, DOT approval is a nice thing to have. I no longer have to switch out bulbs before annual inspection...I only have to pull the rails off my brushguard and tail lamps....I got rejected due to "light obstructions" my first time into the inspector.

Old 07-21-2002, 10:01 PM
Sorry, i was on vacation !!!

I agree with all that has been said. Compared to my X5, they stink. The X5 was only a $500.00 option vs. $700.00 for Sylvania. I was really disappointed at first, but in time grew to like them. It took a few tweaks to align them the way I wanted them. I still want to replace the high beam bulb. it barely makes a difference. Compared to stock, they are great, the beam pattern is kinda cat-eyed, but has a good wide pattern, a little scattered on the outer edges, white light. EZ to install, mine really hum, Sylvania says its normal.

I emailed Sylvania and the webmaster about the trial way back when it was first announced and never got a response from either.

Old 07-22-2002, 08:21 PM
Humming noise

00expo,

mine hum as well, but no louder than the one's on my Lexus...its more like a whining hum.

Old 07-22-2002, 09:35 PM
4300K gives off a white light where as the 6000Kgives off a much more purpleish hue then any of the stock euro setups. I think there is an upgrade kit available also.

Quick Reply: 00expo xenarc lights?