Expedition / Navigator

2001 Expy Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Expy Problems

I have a 2001 EB Expy and 2001 Lariat 4X4 SuperCrew and have not encountered any problems. (Knock on wood) Even the seatbelt fastener passed the Re-call. The only complaint I have is with the General Grabbers on the Expy. (Poorest excuse for a tire I have ever owned) I was just wondering what are some of the problems other 2001 Expy and 4X4 SuperCrew owners have run into?

Old 07-16-2002, 12:06 AM
Just the rear wiper motor that went out, that go fixed under the wiper recall.

Old 07-16-2002, 10:49 AM
Oh, where to begin

I have a 2001 Ford Exy, XLT Sport. 5.4 L 3.31 gears w Limited Diff., 2 WD. I bought it in 01/01. Here is the list so far:

2 New Trannys
3 Throttle Bodies
2 Throttle Linkages
1 New AC Compressor
7 Sets of Horns
2 Rear wiper motors
1 replacement of weather strip for rear window
1 replacement of weather strip for sunroof
and finally (and best of all I think) the vehicle will accelerate on its own! Nice, uh?

It is on a lease (true lease, not balloon payment). It qualifies for the Lemon Law, but due to the lease, I would have to pay over $14k in interest and penalties to get out of the truck (under the Lemon Law). Yeah, that ain't going to happen. Since it is a lease, at the end of the term it is not mine. I will not own it. It can be Ford's problem after that.

Oh and when the time comes, I will post me VIN so none of you will happen to purchase the truck. HEHEHEHEH

Boxter

Old 07-16-2002, 01:27 PM
Boxter ... you are the one I wanted to here from

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with your Expy. How soon did these things start happening??? How many miles do you have on it now? Can you add more info on how did the transmission go out? Was it all of a sudden you were stranded or did it start making a noise? How has the dealer treated you?

I had an accelaration problem once in my S'crew ... I called my dealer and they said to bring it down ASAP. It registered a code and the dealer I purchased it from fixed it in 10 minutes. They were so helpful that I almost forgot that it happened. They were even offering me a loaner car if they could not get it corrected. I guess it has something to do with spending $64K with them in such a short time.

7 horns??? Are you in NJ?

So what is your next auto going to be??? I just purchased an Infiniti G35 as a third car (toy). I wanted to get the new 350Z, but my wife said no two seat cars in the driveway. (I had a ZX in the driveway a few years ago). The G35 is the most fun I have had driving a car since I sold a 1977 Datsun 280Z in 1988.
I have owned a 97 BMW (never again... I bet it beats your Expy in "Shop Time") I owned it for eight months and drove it only for five and a half months. I hope they got their act together. Took three days to diagnose it and a week to get parts ordered another two days to get it fixed. So a ten minute fix takes two weeks???

Old 07-17-2002, 10:51 AM
Oh, where to begin. I got the truck in Jan 2001. Purchased it new. At 5k miles the vehicle started accel. on its own. Problem was, it never reg. any codes. The dealer tried to troubleshoot best they could. I took it to them 4 times for that. That is the reason for the Throttle bodies and the linkages. Every time I took it in they would look at these 2 things and would find some problem.

As for the tranny, that was at 8k miles. I had lever towed with the truck at that point, and I am not real heavy footed. I do not stomp and go to the next light (been pretty easy on the tranny). The truck just started to not go into it final gear or over drive. Then within 10 miles, the OD light started to blink. Took it into Ford and it took them 3 days to pull the tranny, tear it open, find something, repair that and flush the fluids and replace with new fluids. However, this did not fix the issue. I got the truck from the dealer and drove 1/2 block and noticed it was doing the same thing. Turned around and had the guy drive with me. He saw what it was and it was back in the shop. It took 34 days (that’s right 34) to have a new tranny shipped to Dallas, TX! After that was fixed, tranny has been fine.

The horns, it seems more of an issue with the placement of the horns. I am in Dallas. I never use the horn. However, one of the 2 tones will go out. I think it has to do with water. It always seemed to happen after it rained.

The AC, that was a pinched o-ring that caused the fluid to drain out. They just fixed the o-ring, and then refilled the fluids. Problem was that the fluids lube the parts that are spinning. With the fluid gone, no lube, parts rub and get damaged. So I took it in again and had the AC replaced. Oh that was at about 15k miles.

The rear wiper motor, that has been since about day 50. I have decided to not use the thing and let it hang there!

I know have 40k miles on the truck. It does get driven alot, but I go above and beyond to maintain the truck. As of late, the issues have started to go away. I still have troubles with the veh accel. on its own. Ford will no longer work on it until they can recreate the problem, or get a code. Has not happened yet (but at least I have a GREAT excuse if I rear-end someone)!

Well, that is my story. And I am sticking to it!

All I can say, is that I cannot wait until the lease is over. It can be Ford's problem then!

Boxter

Old 07-18-2002, 05:32 PM
Hey Boxter,

I also have a 2001 Expy that's been known to take off by itself from time to time. I took it to the dealer before the warranty ran out and they thought I was nuts. Of course they couldn't reproduce the problem but I wanted to at least get it on record. What were the symptoms on your truck? Mine only seems to take off on cooler days. Hasn't happened yet during the summer but sure scares the crap out of me when it happens.

Old 07-18-2002, 11:22 PM
Window molding! Weren't broken just a little premature fade and didn't look nice anymore.

That's my list of problems in almost 3 years, 43000 miles, towing BIG weight over the last 11 months and mods' to boot!

I'd have to say for a life long GM guy, Ford has impressed me with this truck!

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2002, 12:44 AM
What is this about the rear wiper motor????

is there a recall on it???

i am having to drive my moms Expy while i wait for a verdict on my navi and i noticed tonight while i was TRYING to drive home in the rain that the rear wiper did not work...

i guess we never noticed it before because it is never driven..

its a 99 and it has just over 13,000 miles on it....but it was hard to see out the back window without the wiper...

im sure the warranty is up.. 3yr/36000....

if there is a recall on it i think it would be worthwhile to get it fixed but if not since we never take it anywhere it would be pointless to spend the money on it....

Old 07-19-2002, 04:09 PM
I have not been able to see any rhyme or reason as to the truck accel. on its own. I did it alot when the truck was newer and it was cooler. However, not but a week or 2 ago, I was in bumper-to-bumper traffic in Dallas. The summers get really HOT here. The temp was reading like 104 (was not that hot, but with heat off other cars, the radiator, etc.).

Anyway, while creeping through traffic, it did it. I was lucky in that I was not right on someone else’s ****. I was able to get it to stop and did not hit anyone. But I did notice something odd. In times past when this has happened, both my tach and my speedo would sweep from left to right when the vehicle was accelerating. They would go all the way over to the plus side (tach read 5k RPM and speed of 100 mph). However, this time, only my speedo did it. Tach stayed put (well, it did measure the RPM increase from the veh accelerating). ODD.

Have you noticed this? I am wondering if this is maybe an electrical issue? Hell, I am out of guesses at this point.

Boxter

Old 07-26-2002, 05:15 PM
2000 Expy-

What's up Boxter?

What part of Big D do you live in? Also, what color Expy do you have, so I can stay out of your way!? I live in North Dallas (Near the Tollway & Plano Parkway)

Just kidding about the accelleration issue, that is a serious problem, and as we say in telecommunications, you didn't escalate this high enough up Ford's food (Management) chain.

When my 1994 Cutlass Supreme SL flaked out before I made the first payment, and the local dealerships could give me no love, (Killeen, TX) I wrote Motor Trend and I wrote the President of the Oldsmobile Division. About 10 days later, I had two different Olds dealerships calling me trying to fix my car. They tried, but never found a problem.

The issues I had with that thing are too numerous to list- but, after the accellerator cable snapped at 35, 000ish miles, I'd had enough. I picked up the car from San Marcos, TX (Yes, it stranded me on the road) drove it to Plano (Where I worked), and then tranny started slipping at 36, 712 miles. I took it to the Nissan dealership that night and bought a loaded 1997 Maxima SE.

Nissan was rock solid in relaibility. I nervously traded it in 1999 for a Ford Supercab Flareside, and traded that in on a 2000 Expedition.

I was a little nervous about getting another American car, but for me, Ford has restored my faith in American automobiles. I had 18,000 on the Supercab when I traded it, and I have 22,000 on the Expy now, along with another 14,000 on our SuperCrew. We had a check engine light on the SuperScrew that the dealer attributed to the fuel sensor

(WHEN I THINK BACK, I THINK I OVERFILLED THE GAS TANK, SOMETHING THAT THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS WILL CAUSE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT)

No other problems in a total of 54,000 Ford truck miles.

My first two cars were GM, and both spent quality time in the shop. (1991 Cavalier Coupe, 1994 Cutlass Supreme SL Coupe)

I got a recall notice on the wiper motor. Mine still works, but I need to find time to take it in to be repaired. Rear seat buckles have been replaced on the SuperCrew. (Recall)

Old 07-29-2002, 02:40 PM
Hey Bighersh! Well, I am in North D as well. I just left Frisco, and bought a new house in Allen.

I have a Silver 2001 Ford Exy XLT w/ Sport Package. Stock truck (as it is a lease).

I am sorry to hear about all of the troubles with your past cars. I have only had one American Car before the Exy (93 Mustang LX Fastback). It gave me problems, but that was due to a couple of factors. First of all I was 17 at the time (drive it hard). As well, I had done a ton of work to it (Rollerrockers, Cams, Ram Air intake, Edelbrock from heads to the tip of the pipe, 150 HP Tripple Stage NOS bottle, plus many other add ons). I still did not have as many issues with that car as I have had with the EXY.

I have decided the hell with it. As I have mentioned before, it is a lease, and when that is said and done with, it can be Ford's problem.

I do remeber a time when my mother had a Ford as well. She had only one problem with that, and I guess it really was not Ford's fault. This was right when the clear coats where coming out in cars. She was told not to wax the car at all. The clear coat was all she needed. Well, wanting do as she was told, she never waxed the thing. After 2 summers in the Texas sun, the paint was gone. All the way to the metal! God it was ugly!

I guess I have just been spoiled by the German automakers. I traded a Audi in on the truck. Audi was great. I had 140k miles on that car. The only issues (up until I traded it) were brakes and tires. At trade in, I had a tie-rod go away and learned that I was going to need pretty much a whole new front end. I had the veh for 5 years, and really had my fun in that. It was time to move on.

Before that was the BMW. Again another great car maker and service shop. Just normal wear and tear items. Yes, you had the scheduled maint. to do and they were more expensive. However, had the truck had not been under warrenty, my repairs would have been over double what I paid for all of my scheduled maint on the BMW.

I am not sure what I am going to do when the lease is up. The Germans really have not grasped the idea of Sport utility yet. There is the BMW, (ok, that is a truck) and the new Porsche (yeah right!). Hell, no one but the Americans have gotten the full size sport utility idea yet. And I am not even about to buy a GM product. And I have gotten really used to having a big truck. I am not sure what to do.

You mentioned in your post that "...and as we say in telecommunications, you didn't escalate this high enough up Ford's food (Management) chain." (Nice to hear you are in the telecommunications industry. I am a LAN Admin here in Dallas as well.) That is yet another bone to pick with Ford. I have never had such a problem getting in contact with a company and getting to the right person. Ford has set up the dealerships so that they are a franshise of Ford. It is not Ford. To contact Ford, is next to impossible. There is that lovely number that you can call (I think the number is 1-800 we dont care), and always get the same response. "I am sorry, but your dealership has to be the one to take care of that for you." Then when you get to the dealership you get the standard, "Well, Ford has stated that we cannot do that." So you ask, ok who said this? I would like to talk with that person. Dealership, "Oh, I am sorry, but that regional rep is only available to us. We cannot give out that information." UGH!!!!

Any way, I have stood on this soap box long enough (my feet are starting to hurt).

Keep in touch!

By the by, hell of a job on the truck!

Boxter

Old 07-30-2002, 01:08 AM
Thanks Boxter-

I'll probably see you around in town somewhere.

I'm always in Plano/Frisco. (I need to go check out that new Tweeter) store you guys have up there.

I operate inside the following box:

North of 635, West of 75, East of the Tollway, and South of 121/Frisco.

The only time you'll catch me outside that box is going to the airport, going to my friends house in Frisco, Going to Killeen, San Antonio, or back home to La. (Louisiana)

Last edited by Bighersh; 07-31-2002 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Expy Problems