Expedition / Navigator

Brake Pad Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Brake Pad Replacement

Knocked off the wife's pads 2 weeks ago on her Explorer and now it's the Expy's turn. For those of you who've already done it, any hints to make it easier. Already went up the "how-to" sites, reviewed and printed it out.

Bought the Raybestos ceramic "Quiet Stop's" (both front and rear) for $169 USD. So far the ones on her Explorer have very little dust.

Thanks

99EB 2WD

Old 08-14-2002, 01:40 PM
My mechanic told me Wagner was the best brand. So I went to O'Reilly's and bought the most expensive set for the front of my Expy. I've had them on for a couple months and they feel really good and brake dust is much less than stockers.

Old 08-15-2002, 08:21 AM
How many miles are you all getting out of your stock front pads? Also, who has replaced the rear pads and are they as straight forward to replace at the fronts? How many miles did you get out of the stock rear pads? Finally, is everyone pretty much in agreement that Raybestos ceramic pads are the way to go? I REALLY look forward to getting rid of all the damn brake dust that the stockers shower the front rims with. Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 08-15-2002, 08:33 AM
Alan,

Took my time on the Explorer and it was pretty much straightforward (the rear were actually easier, didn't have to repack wheel bearings and replace seals). The Expy pads price were equivelent to dealer prices (at PepBoy's) but you might find them cheaper in your area.

The Expy has 44K and I'm one of those idiots that does "jack-rabbit" starts (46 Y/O reliving 18) who gets to "stand-on-it frequently from the 95 Y/O's who pull out in front of you.

I'll let the board know how much fun I have next week after I knock 'em out.

Keith

Old 08-15-2002, 08:34 AM
Alan,

One more thing, GREAT lookin SS. Does it have the center shift?Kick myself for not grabbing one!

Old 08-15-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by s76drvr
Alan,

One more thing, GREAT lookin SS. Does it have the center shift?Kick myself for not grabbing one!
Thanks for the complement. Actually it is an '95 model, thus shifter on the steering column(sp?). The last year they were made, 1996, was the only year the the shifter was on the center console. I had a '96 before i owned this '95 and i did like it better just for the console shift, but this '95 has been a better car. Seemes to have been better built and has less problems. Amazing the difference in just one year as far as build quality goes for the same exact model. Actually I am trying to sell the SS though. 32,000 miles in show condition. If you would be interested I 'found' the link below. Thanks again for the complement.

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...&car_year=1995

Old 08-15-2002, 08:47 PM
Pretty easy job. the fronts are a little more work as you really should pull the rotors and repack the front bearings. The rears go on really fast.

I have VGX pads on the front and like them alot. I have aftermarket wheels and the VGX leave no dust. when it cam time to do the rear no one had the VGX in stock so I purchased Bendix and they have been working out fine as well. The fronts are the ones that will create the most dust due to them doing most of the work.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Replacement