Expedition / Navigator

Superchips & FIPK's

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchips & FIPK's

Anyone have these installed on their 4.6L Expy?

If so, I have the following questions:
1.) Why?
2.) What are the gains, if any?
3.) How much?
4.) Noticed any change in reliability?

If you live in the D/FW Metroplex..... Where did you buy/have installed?

Old 08-25-2002, 07:10 PM
Well, we installed that on our F150 4.6L so it should be the same.

The FIPK I hate, it does perform alittle better but the install looks so ugly. The directions suck from K&N. If I could do it again I would get an AIRAID intake.

The superchip is great. You feel the difference plus the shifts are alot more firm and crisp.

Any more? just let me know. I can take a pic of the FIPK installed if you like...

Jesse

Old 08-26-2002, 12:07 PM
Thanks Jesse

My cousin has the K&N FIPK, and the box says (Up to 26 HP gain), but he had other mods done, like a throttle spacer that's supposed to add about 10-15 and the cat back, which according to magazines, adds up to 15. With his 5.4L if he's getting 50% of market claims, he's getting anywhere from 285 - 316 HP out of the 5.4L, without any major mods...

That being the case, I could see up to 280 out of the 4.6L since the 4.6 & 5.4 utilize the same aftermarket parts (down to the same part number.)

I have the K&N filter installed, but it's in the factory air box. and I have the flowmasters installed. (SuperCrew) I was wondering if the gains from the K&N or AIRRAID FIPK was noticeable enough to warrant the $, from a performance increase standpoint.

Old 08-27-2002, 07:49 AM
Hey Big,

1. Don't believe the claims. That 'up to 26 HP' was 'as measured' on an old cheby 454 that came from the factory with a very restrictive intake (and likily a very dirty filter) Another 'trick' they use is that they take their dyno 'measurements' with the hood open and a fan blowing cooling air directly at the exposed filter element as the K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit (or FIPK) is NOT a Cold Air Intake.

Most of the real 'test' performed with documented before & after comparisions on the F150 (same as Expy) are for the 5.4L (but I would expect similar results with the 4.6L) and they show a increase of less the 5HP with the AirRaid Cold Air Intake being the best.

Do a search because I remember a thread somewaher in here that has a link to a five way comparision test of these.

2. You can't really add up HP increases that way as everything must work together and as they say, 'the sum of the parts do not equal the whole'

I suggest you look into a few easy mods that aren't to pricey:

dual 16" electric fan kit, $ 200 range
Magnaflow CAT Back System, $150- $ 250 range
SuperChip, $ 250 range
Poor Man's FIPK, <$ 50 if you use your existing K&N element

and maybe some power pulleys (if you don't have a hugh sound system that puts high demands on your electrical system)

Quick Reply: Superchips & FIPK's